New to Wyoming

HuntinFool

Feb 24, 2011
Utah
I have hunted doe Antelope in Wyoming before but I was interested in starting to build points so I can go on a few really good hunts shortly after I get out of college. (I'm 14 now) When do I put in for points for deer, elk, antelope, and anything else a youth nonresident can put in for. I don't know all the species that I can put in for. So I am basicly looking for any info you guys can give me for hunting Wyoming. Thanks in advance for any of the info I get.

gon4elk

Feb 21, 2011
Cache Valley, Utah
If your just doing points, Mid July to mid/end of September. Check the Wyoming Game and Fish website for exact dates.

I love hunting Wyoming, you won't be disappointed.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
Hey HuntinFool, wish that I had started doing what you want to do when I was your age...You will definitely be able to do some awesome hunts once you are out of high school!!!
Here is a link to some info for Wyoming. http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/11AppBooklet/11NR1-12.pdf
Start reading through all of it, but page 4 shows tag fees, dates, etc. The time when you can buy preference points is from July 1-September 30. For deer, antelope and elk, the point's will cost you $10 each. If you want moose and sheep points, you will have to pay the full price, $75 for moose and $100 for sheep.
You can pay the "youth" price for points until you are 18. Take advantage of that and good luck!!!!!

elktracker

Feb 24, 2011
Jackson, WY
You can either enter the draw (too late this year) and earn a point if you don't draw or as gon4elk said just buy points for what ever species you want to hunt during the summer. You can put in for any species there is a hunt for in WY but you can only build points for elk, deer, antelope, moose, and sheep. You might want to look at some of the license fees for NR hunts though as some of them are really expensive, goat and sheep are over 2 grand, moose is about $1400. If you just want to hunt after college like you said then you're better off just buying points until then and you won't have to spend money on application fees.
Personally I don't see why someone in Utah would want to spend all the money to hunt WY (even an antelope tag is almost $300), but that's your choice. I'm not trying to get you to not hunt here, just seems like there is good hunting in Utah and it would be a lot cheaper. Are you just wanting to build points so you can hunt in really good areas?
Here is a link to the G&F site for license fees, look around on the site to learn more about when to buy points, apply for tags etc.
http://gf.state.wy.us/fiscal/license/licprices/default.aspx
One other thing to consider is nonresidents have to have a guide in WY to hunt in wilderness areas. You can get a resident to act as a guide but I'm not exactly sure how that works.

HuntinFool

Feb 24, 2011
Utah
Thanks for all the good info guys. The reason I want to hunt Wyoming is because if I start building points there now like I am doing in Utah in a few years I could draw a few good tags for Utah and a few good tags for Wyoming. It basically just gives me more opportunity to hunt quality animals more times rather than just put in for one state an only get a few good tags.