New First Lite Gear

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
It looks like the new First Lite Gear is available for pre-order! https://issuu.com/rodgesa/docs/2016_fl_catalog_issuu
http://www.firstlite.com/seak-jacket.html
I can't wait to see how the folks that get the new Seak rain jacket and the Aerowool like the stuff.

Does anyone have any experience with the current First Lite rain jacket.? I tried on the Kuiu Yukon but the Medium actually seemed too big. I wear a M or L in everything else. Also, I'm thinking I like the idea of the First Lite jacket in green. Anyone used any of the First Lite jackets in Green? The idea would be to have something non camo that I could wear hunting and around town. I like the brown and black but I consider it too dangerous to wear something that is elk or bear colored.

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I have used their old jacket quite a bit, I really like it. The new stuff is good as well and worth it IMO if you decide on it.

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
Thanks Scott. Which do you think is set up to be more durable; the Seak or Kuiu Yukon? It looks like First Lite is rating the Seak at a much higher waterproofness (if that's a word).

laxwyo

Very Active Member
I ordered the aerowool gloves and just sent pics of some of the other aerowool pieces to the ole lady for "birthday suggestions"

I probably would have bought some of their rain gear but they either never had the jacket in the right size/color or the pants. Frankly, they've probably lost some of my business (I bet I own 20 pieces already) because of their stock issues. They keep coming out with new stuff but getting your hands on your right size is ridiculous. They must have went to the kuiu school of business.

I ended up buying marmot light weight rain gear. I couldn't see paying $350 for something I wouldn't wear that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I ordered the aerowool gloves and just sent pics of some of the other aerowool pieces to the ole lady for "birthday suggestions"

I probably would have bought some of their rain gear but they either never had the jacket in the right size/color or the pants. Frankly, they've probably lost some of my business (I bet I own 20 pieces already) because of their stock issues. They keep coming out with new stuff but getting your hands on your right size is ridiculous. They must have went to the kuiu school of business.

I ended up buying marmot light weight rain gear. I couldn't see paying $350 for something I wouldn't wear that much.

I justified the cost for rain gear by not buying soft shells. Rain jackets break wind really well and have about the same insulation value as a soft shell.

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
I wish that that was what I would have done. I already have the Guide Jacket and now I need a rain jacket. I wish I just had a rain jacket. The Guide Jacket is a good jacket, I just don't need two jackets.

IDELKFVR

Dec 15, 2013
EMMETT,IDAHO
I have been thinking about there rain gear.The part that worries me when looking through there catalog is it states that they are weather proof not water proof. So my concern is there not water proof does anyone have any experience with there rain gear and how it holds up when caught in a rain storm. The stuff i was looking i believe was seak. Also any one have any experience with the pants i am curios about them to. My hunting partner has the sitka line of rain gear and he swears by them but he has more money than i do to spend on rain gear.

how does the first lite stuff compare.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I have had the original rain gear, Stormtight series, for 3 years...I have used it extensively hard, over 140 days each year for 2 seasons when guiding and have been in extensive wet weather with it...I was amazed at how well it did for how lightweight it is. I never had anything get through in either the pants or jacket. The jacket is honestly one of my most favorite pieces of gear i have and is always with me. I use it as a windbreaker just as much as a rain jacket. The guys at first lite continue to improve their gear year upon year, as they are using it and abusing it just as much as anyone else could.

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
I have been thinking about there rain gear.The part that worries me when looking through there catalog is it states that they are weather proof not water proof. So my concern is there not water proof does anyone have any experience with there rain gear and how it holds up when caught in a rain storm. The stuff i was looking i believe was seak. Also any one have any experience with the pants i am curios about them to. My hunting partner has the sitka line of rain gear and he swears by them but he has more money than i do to spend on rain gear.

how does the first lite stuff compare.
I think that the terminology they are using is synonymous with waterproofness. So when they say weather proof they mean waterproof. I could be wrong though.

IDELKFVR

Dec 15, 2013
EMMETT,IDAHO
Thank you mntnguide for the info. Sorry benjblt if i stepped on your orirgnal questions was just courios about the first lite stuff myself. propably go with first lite where i work they give us a discount which is nice of them makes it more affordable.