New bow- what weight of arrow would be best

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
I bought a Hoyt maxxis 31 this year 28" draw @ 60lbs, I am shooting 350 grain Carbon Express Maxima arrows right now and its shooting good. I plan on hunting elk this year with it and wondered if It would benefit me to go with a higher grain arrow, I've killed lots of deer with a 350 arrow, but never tried elk before. Will it mess up my sight? I know a lighter grain bullet in a rifle will shoot higher than a heavier bullet, is this the same as a bow? any suggestions to someone just bowhunting for a few years now would be helpfull

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
An arrow that weighs more will definitely affect your sight, depending on how much more you're talking. You will see a siginicant difference at longer yardage for sure (40-60).

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
For elk hunting in my opinion, I would hunt with as heavy an arrow as you can. I also like speed so I keep my arrow around 420 grains. It gives you a little more penetration, but doesn't drag you down to much.

T43

I just started archery hunting but at the recommendation of several different sources I have my bow tuned with a 413 grain arrow. It seems like everyone says to stay slightly above the 400 mark to keep weight and speed at a good balance. I did have a guy at a local bow shop who said he shoots a lot lighter because he likes the speed more than the weight but he was one of the only ones I have talked to that went that route. I have also had a few guys that say go heavier than 400 and closer to the 500 mark but as I said the majority I have talked to like the just above 400 mark.

Elkcrazedfrk

Feb 21, 2011
Arrow weight is kind of a science. You need to consider Spine, tip size, FOC, vanes all of which efect your overall weight. There is a ton of good reading regarding arrows at huntersfriend.com