My Son's B-Day Present

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
photo.jpg

My son Pake turned 8 years old yesterday. We bought him a 7mm-08 in a Savage Axis youth model. I watched a you-tube video on a diy trigger job. Very easy took about 5 minutes max. We then installed a dnz game reaper mount, topped with a Nikon Pro-Staff 4X12X40mm BDC scope & butler creek caps. We zeroed it in, very accurate sweet shooting gun. I'm a Remington Model 700 guy myself, but was very impressed with this gun. $259 at Academy & well worth it. Happy B-Day for sure. It is awesome when your kids get old enough to hunt with you. I really look forward to this fall deer hunting.

Last edited:

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Sweet! Awesome birthday present. We were looking into the same gun and heard some really good things about it. Good luck this fall. It will be my son and I's first big game trip this year, too.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
The guns that my dad gave me for my birthday/Christmas mean far more to me than any gun that I ever bought for myself.

Nice work Eberle!

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
It is awesome when your kids get old enough to hunt with you. I really look forward to this fall deer hunting.
Yessir. There is nothing better than hunting with your kids. You and your son are going to have lots of great times together. Take lots of pictures/video. Time flies. Thankfully, hunting together doesn't end when he turns 18. I still hunt with my dad as well as my son. Good stuff.

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
Yessir. There is nothing better than hunting with your kids. You and your son are going to have lots of great times together. Take lots of pictures/video. Time flies. Thankfully, hunting together doesn't end when he turns 18. I still hunt with my dad as well as my son. Good stuff.
Hey buddie, good to hear from you. You've been MIA for a while. Want be long until I'll go through the Texas Hunts. Pake is elgible this year. So I'll be PMing you,picking your brain!

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
They're changing it up a little this year, I hear. Gonna finally be able to enter and pay online. Also, I'm hearing that you will be able to apply for more than one location in each hunt category.

Your boy will be able to enter the youth hunt drawings, and you can also include him in the general drawings with you as well, if you want to. My son is about to turn 17, so he'll no longer be eligible for the youth hunts. We've had a lot of fun on those through the years. I'm sure you and your son will too.

My advice (since you didn't ask, LOL) is to not take hunting too seriously when hunting with your son. Let him explore. Let him be a kid and have fun. Don't put too much pressure on him to be still and quiet all day long. Let him shoot whatever is legal game if he wants to shoot it. Don't worry too much about trophy animals. Make sure you cut up and laugh a bunch too, even if it means you spook a deer every now and then.

Man, I really miss those days. We had a TON of fun. We still do, but it's just different when they're younger and everything is new. Have fun with it, and take lots of pics. They will be priceless to you later. These sure are to me. Forgive me for clogging up your thread, but I'm fired up because this is what you and your son have to look forward to....

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas

And now he's helping me pack out animals. One of these days, I hope he'll wheel me out into the woods to hunt when I can't hobble out on my own. All that guiding I did for him in the early years might come back to me then.

Last edited: