My eldest boy's first moose

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
My oldest son Wyatt earned his hunter safety card this summer at age 13. The deal was he get his hunter safety card & I'll take him moose hunting. I called this bull in on the 4th day of the hunt. Wyatt shot him throught the heart at a whopping 35 yards as the bull was thrashing the alders and grunting. Wyatt was shooting my kimber 7-08 with some of my hand loads 160gr speer mag tip bullets. Bull ran 40 yards & died. It is much more exciting to see him harvest a critter than me pulling the trigger. Pure excitement !! I was all jazzed up, jumping up & down and Wyatt telling me to controll myself. I am one proud daddy :D

DSCN1985.jpg

DSCN1990.jpg

DSCN1980.jpg

DSCN2000.jpg

The bull is 52 inches wide w/ 4 brow tines and 3 brow tines. A great bull for the birch forest type. Also the second largest bull taken in this household.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Congratulations Wyatt!! Great job, Dad! You'll have some fine dining this winter for sure!

Sfjeeper

May 31, 2014
Rocklin, CA
Congratulations to you and your son! That's a terrific bull!. Only in Alaska would the phrase "My eldest boy's first moose" ever be found in normal conversation. You truly live in a hunter's paradise.

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
"eldest boy" is a family joke we have because Wyatt is metally mature beyond his years. He is always calm, cool, & collective .. My wife is always reminding me he acts more "mature" than I. He is 13 & I'm about to turn 43. A long story short we adopted Wyatt @ birth and was our first. His birth mom than called us 3 years later and wanted us to adopt her babies again. Yes babies, she had twins.So we did @ birth. I have look forward to taking my 3 boys hunting and fishing since they were born. So when Wyatt shot his first big critter I was ready to do a backflip ( 13 years of anticipation built up)....

GOPR0132.jpg

I took this picture and asked Wyatt" what are you thinking?" He replied " I am just saying a little prayer to god , thanking him for the moose. "

Mature beyond his years. "eldest boy"

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Your short story and photos are enough for me to know that you're a heck of a fine man with a fine family. Keep up raising those boys the way you are and God bless you and your family.

This forum seems to attract some mighty fine people as members, I hope to get to know some of you personally as time goes on.