My Dilema

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Alright so I've archery hunted elk in Colorado 7 different times. Just used 9 points on Unit 49 unsuccessfully. So now I'm back at 0. Either way I'm ready to get back at it. All my hunting buddies are tired of all the hard work and limited success(0 animals harvested). We've all had opportunities but "no cigar". I'm thinking about trying Wyoming or Montana. My problem is now I need a partner and or some help deciding where to go. I know 25contender mentored a guy this year in Montana. I don't need a mentor so much as someone that hunts like I do and is interested in the challenge of backcountry Bowhunting. I have the gear and the experience but I'm looking for new country and a new adventure and possibly a new partner. If anyone is interested in pointing me in a different direction I am here to listen. Wyoming draw is closing in and it appears I may have to sit out a year or two to draw a decent tag there. Willing to do whatever is necessary. My wife wants me to just hire a guide instead of wasting my time and efforts going in cold. This year in CO. I hired a scouting service to help but maybe I need to just buck up and hire an outfitter. I know this still does not guarantee success but what it does do is not waste 2-3 days locating elk if there not vocal. Anyone got any suggestions? Feel free to PM me to. Even if someone is just willing to help me with an outfitter that makes sense for my style. Thanks.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I'm curious... other than hunting 49 this year, were your other previous 6 hunts in Colorado that were unsuccessful in the same unit? Are you looking for bull only or will a cow be OK too? Have you thought about rifle or muzzleloader hunting or are you only interested in archery?

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
If all you want is to kill an elk don't overlook Oregon. Oregon may not be known for big bulls but we have decent elk hunting here. We have tons of OTC archery elk hunting opportunities. I would be happy to share info and possibly take you along with me. I typically hunt solo when archery hunting. Send me a PM if you like

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Hey what's up CoHiCntry. I have hunted out of Rico, CO. in Unit 71 for 3 years and also hunted Unit 28 for 3 years in a row. I want a bull but on all these hunts I would have taken a cow.
As for hunting muzzleloader or rifle, I really like hunting with a bow. I haven't gun hunted since I was 15. I like bowhunting because of the solitude. Although the older I get the more it crosses my mind. I set out to shoot one with a bow and I hate not accomplishing my goals. Guess I'm not ready to quit yet.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I think there are a lot of factors. I recently have been mulling over a new theory. It seems that guys tend to either be a good deer hunter OR a good elk hunter (assuming they are a good hunter in the first place...ha ha). For example I tend to be a better elk hunter than deer hunter. My oldest son is a deer slayer but has trouble with elk. Two of the best elk hunters I know have a tough time with deer (usually). Maybe that nice deer in your avatar is a bad sign....just being silly...maybe.....I think ;)

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Timberstalker,
I appreciate the invite. I actually researched Oregon early on and was entertaining the thought of going out there. The biggest obstacle at the time was distance. Just so far from GA. Still not out of the question though. Where at in Oregon are you? I used to do the ISE Sportsman Expo shows when I was younger and we would come to Portland. I loved driving from Seattle through Oregon on our way to Sacremento. Great country.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Hey what's up CoHiCntry. I have hunted out of Rico, CO. in Unit 71 for 3 years and also hunted Unit 28 for 3 years in a row. I want a bull but on all these hunts I would have taken a cow.
Wow...3 years in 71 and no elk! I hunt 71 all the time (M/L & rifle) and do have better luck than that. Be a little more specific about 71 as it is a pretty good sized unit. If you don't want to post here, PM me. I have 2 neighbors who are archery hunters and they do pretty well. While 71 isn't know for huge bulls, there are lots of smaller ones around (300" & less ). Just sayin................

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
I think there are a lot of factors. I recently have been mulling over a new theory. It seems that guys tend to either be a good deer hunter OR a good elk hunter (assuming they are a good hunter in the first place...ha ha). For example I tend to be a better elk hunter than deer hunter. My oldest son is a deer slayer but has trouble with elk. Two of the best elk hunters I know have a tough time with deer (usually). Maybe that nice deer in your avatar is a bad sign....just being silly...maybe.....I think ;)
I think you may have something there, cause I kind of thought the same thing.:) I just get whitetails, and have been fortunate enough to shoot quite a few nice ones. But I suck as an elk hunter. Lol. I just need to be trained I guess. If I grew up hunting elk and lived where elk roam I have no doubt I would not be in this predicament. It would be the other way around. I would be trying to kill a nice whitetail.
I do have 9 deer points in Colorado. Maybe I should just go mule deer hunting instead. See if my deer luck can transfer over to mule deer...probably not.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Wow...3 years in 71 and no elk! I hunt 71 all the time (M/L & rifle) and do have better luck than that. Be a little more specific about 71 as it is a pretty good sized unit. If you don't want to post here, PM me. I have 2 neighbors who are archery hunters and they do pretty well. While 71 isn't know for huge bulls, there are lots of smaller ones around (300" & less ). Just sayin................
Sent ya a PM.