My Christmas Present to Myself

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Well, I really wasn't ready to buy one and had been looking at the CamoFire site over the last few weeks as they came onto it but I was wandering through a store the other day and it jumped out and into my arms and said that it wanted to go home with me.

So now I am a owner of a Vortes RazorHD 20-60x85 spotting scope. I thought that the 20-60 one on CamoFire was a great buy until I saw the price on this one. CamoFire wanted $999 for the scope plus some shipping and taxes. Al's Sporting Goods in Utah wanted $799+tax, I just couldn't resist.

Now I need to find me a tripod and a window mount for it.

I know that there are better ones out there but for the price this one is a fantastic spotting scope.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Congrats on the new spotting scope. When you get a tripod I would recommend getting one with a pan head rather than a ball head. The tripod I have right now has a ball head and it sucks. It's almost impossible to move the spotting scope without moving it too far or having it tip to one side or the other. My last tripod had a pan head and was much much better.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I will have to disagree

The Vortex Pro GT trip pod is a great one. I’ve been using the same one for the last 5 years with no issues.

I do not own a window mount from Vortex so I can’t say if it’s a quality one or not.

I would also look at Bog Pod. They have many attachments for theirs.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I ordered a Vortex Pro GT the other day so we will see, I also ordered a Vortex window mount so I'll test that one out also.

I thought about the Bog Pod since I already have one but from what I have heard of them they don't stabilize as well as a optics tripod. It is the mounting system that they use that causes the problems..

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Sounds like a great purchase JimP.If you need it field tested before your trip to Az.I will shoulder the burden...
Then skip the state!:cool:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Sounds like a great purchase JimP.If you need it field tested before your trip to Az.I will shoulder the burden...
Then skip the state!:cool:
I have actually been watching a herd of elk on a hill south of my home.

Today wasn't too good since a snow storm blew in and it is hard to see much more than a hundred yards.

But I did get my tripod and window mount so now I can cruse around looking for things.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I was a little disappointed in that the widow mount doesn't use a detachable mount that would match up with the tripod but it will work for a window mount, they are not that hard to change over.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I was a little disappointed in that the widow mount doesn't use a detachable mount that would match up with the tripod but it will work for a window mount, they are not that hard to change over.
I would not tolerate such a thing. probly just me but I would find one that did

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
One question for those of you that have the Vortex spotter, is there a type of tether that I can purchase to keep the lens covers with the scope when they are off?

I can just use some rubber string or something but if there is actually a product I would rather use it.

Other than that it works great. I can sit in my living room and spot deer and elk a long ways off. I have one real nice buck that has been hanging out on a hillside around 2 miles away that I have been watching. It is a little hard to tell just what he has for headgear but when he moves his head you can see the rack.