My cattle ranch is burning

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
So I found out today that my families cattle ranch is on fire on the very north end of the LNU Lightning Complex fire that has now engulfed well over 380,000 acres. There is only one building left on the ranch of about 6 originally. The last is one of the houses that was built in 1876. My neighbor placed a fire break around it just before the fire reached it with a dozer. The ranch is good sized and was originally homesteaded. They had water from one of the many springs but it did move about 100 yrd or so when the San Francisco earth quake hit back in the day. There is a food den dug behind the house with rock walls for cold storage.

Its cattle ground so not the end of the world but believe it or not im right in the middle of deer season up there and have passed on a few smaller bucks already. All the cattle have been moved up north for winter.

The last time it burnt in 2012 the turkeys disappeared and never came back and the deer hunting was just getting back to where it was.

I guess I'm really bummed to miss out on the rest of my deer season and all the hunting camps with friends.

I posted a link to the fire and a couple pics. I will post some more pics next week of the burn when I get up there.

Attachments

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Sorry to hear, I have a very good friend that lost there families main house and 5 other structures in the Walbridge Fire part of this fire complex. There home was probably built in the 1920’s☹

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
Thanks for the replies. Yes it is in Northern California West of Arbuckle. I know others have it worst that have lost their primary residence. Best wishes to all affected by the fires.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Sry to that, hopefully at least that one building will be saved very nice of the neighbor to get a fire break built

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That's one problem with fires, they don't discriminate they just burn.

I have a friend who's property in in the Pine Gulch perimeter here in Colorado. The fire fighters did manage to save their cabin but most of the rest of the area is scorched earth and black toothpicks on the hillsides.

It was fantastic elk hunting in the area but now who knows. I am sure that there are pockets of green left but only time will tell how hunting is.