Muzzleloader sights

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
As many of you know, the rules and regs for muzzleloaders very for each state. When using a muzzy in CA or CO we can't use a scope. So I was wondering what type of open sights everyone is using? Fiber, peep or regular iron?

I recently bought a CVA MR and the front of the barrel is not tapped for the fiber sight I wanted to install. So I called CVA and they told me about the( http://www.seeallopensight.com). Has anyone had any experience with this sight? They say the sight is good to 100 yards. Should that be plenty for a open sight? I can't imagine trying to accurately place a shot any farther with open sights, What are your thoughts?

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Not sure what dad uses but he has open sights for sure. We set milk jugs out and he practiced shooting them. He is good to 150 with his sights (depending on wind). I don't think his have fiber optics or anything... just the stock iron sights. He has been practicing a lot lately so that helps too, but either way you will be limited on range with iron sights.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Fiber sights can have issues in various lighting, also they cover a huge portion of the target at 100 yards.

I've been shooting muzzleloaders for 30 years and have shot numerous sights. For the front sight I'd HIGHLY recommend a Patridge white line from XS Sights. You will need to determine the height you need, XS will send you plastic test sights to dial that in. This sight is available in 0.050" increments. Your aiming point will be at the top of the blade, therefore the sight is not covering your aiming point. The white line also defines a clear sharp aiming point. I only loose about 1" in my accuracy versus a scope at 100 yards.

For the rear use a Williams peep (my preference) or an XS ghost ring.

The See All looks interesting….I'd sure be interested if anyone has info on it.

Last edited:

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
DSCN0792.jpg

Here is my setup and as you can see it worked great yesterday! The peep sight is a Williams WGRS with a .050 twilight aperture. The front sight is a Marbles 1/16'' gold bead. It came with fiber optic sights but I didnt like the rear fiber optic sight. I used the fiber optic bead with the peep sight 1 year. I liked it but it broke so I put the Marbles bead on it and I really like it. The shot I made yesterday was right at 100 yards. I killed an antelope this year with 1 shot at 155 yards with my 1894 Winchester with a Marbles peep sight and it was probably the best placed shot I have ever made. I am very confident shooting to 200 yards with good peep sights. Im sure you could get your barrel tapped to put a bead on it. I never seen the sight you are looking at and Im not sure if it would be legal in some states?

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
I am running a Williams peep and Williams firesight front sight on mine. BUT when xs gets around to making more posts I will be swapping out to the same setup umpquahunter is running. I've had it ordered for a while now but they are out of stock and not a hot seller. I truly believe it's one of the best setups out there. Like umpquahunter said, the fiber optic up front is just too big for me as well. I shoot out to 200 with it but it covers a pie plate up at that distance and some.

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
View attachment 7205

Here is my setup and as you can see it worked great yesterday! The peep sight is a Williams WGRS with a .050 twilight aperture. The front sight is a Marbles 1/16'' gold bead. It came with fiber optic sights but I didnt like the rear fiber optic sight. I used the fiber optic bead with the peep sight 1 year. I liked it but it broke so I put the Marbles bead on it and I really like it. The shot I made yesterday was right at 100 yards. I killed an antelope this year with 1 shot at 155 yards with my 1894 Winchester with a Marbles peep sight and it was probably the best placed shot I have ever made. I am very confident shooting to 200 yards with good peep sights. Im sure you could get your barrel tapped to put a bead on it. I never seen the sight you are looking at and Im not sure if it would be legal in some states?
MM good shot!

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Thanks to all who replied. Some good points and opinions. Maybe I should consider getting the front of my barrel tapped to put some type of bead or front sight on. The CVA accrua MR I bought has a shorter barrel than the normal, because it was designed for light weight. If I were to get the barrel tapped, would it make a difference with the distance between front and back sights?

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
I think I understand why CVA doesn't tap the front of the barrel and said to use the seeallsight. The type of stock on the CVA MR will not let my cheek get low enough to use regular style open sights.....I might need to return it and get the accura v2 instead.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Return it and get a Knight! LOL From what I know muzzle loaders preform better with a longer barrel. Mine has a 26'' barrel. I got my disc extreme when they first came out and it has been great but honestly I have never shot any other muzzle loader so I really have nothing to compare it too. My set up is accurate and reliable and I just got the western conversion kit for it so I can make it legal in any state. What more could I want:)

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Return it and get a Knight! LOL From what I know muzzle loaders preform better with a longer barrel. Mine has a 26'' barrel. I got my disc extreme when they first came out and it has been great but honestly I have never shot any other muzzle loader so I really have nothing to compare it too. My set up is accurate and reliable and I just got the western conversion kit for it so I can make it legal in any state. What more could I want:)
I considered a disc extreme but I love the simplicity of the break in half type muzzleloaders especially for cleaning the less parts. I went with the CVA Accura because I've heard tons of good things on multiple forms about them. Also heard they shoot solid lead Chronicles/ powerbelts good, for Colorado. The several states I am building points for, allow 209 primers. But if I ever decide I want to go to Oregon, Washington or Idaho I will probably end up with a disc extreme too.:)

Last edited:

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I agree on the simplicity of a break type and the ones you can remove the breech plug without any tools. TC's do look interesting since you can put different barrels on it. I know there are atleast a couple break actions that are legal in ID, WA, OR. TC makes one and CVA does too I think but IDK if they will work with a 209 too? The disc extreme really isnt very hard to take apart and clean. I will say the action gets alot dirtier with musket caps then 209's. It shoots Hornady FPB's well and thats what I use in CO. I shoot Knight red hots where sabots are legal. I havent tried anything thats legal in ID yet. The disc extreme is very water tight and reliable. We put mine under water for 40 minutes (literally filled the bath tub 1/2 full and threw it in) and it fired perfectly! There are lots of good ML's and many more now then when I bought mine. This one has been good to me!

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Sweet bro, that's impressive about keeping it under water that long and then firing with no problems. For me I definitely narrowed it down between the disc extreme and the Accrua. I'll probably get a disc extreme in the future. There is no doubt that they are great guns. Plus they're made in the USA!

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
My friend that has an original disc bought the disc extreme conversion kit right after that and I still think Knight owes me a commission for that sale! lol. He said it would never fire after being under water so I had to try it! Honestly I wasnt so sure myself it would fire after that but it fired like it had been dry the whole time and that was after hunting for 3 days in rain and snow. I have seen the origional disc delay fire after being in damp weather.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
love the seeall! I got one for the CVA Apex since it has the same stock as the MR and its worked perfect.
I see you are from Colorado....is this sight legal in Colorado? The rules on sights might be a little confusing, at least as I read them. I looked at See All website and it looks great. Does the sight use and artificial illumination or batteries? I have a TC Pro hunter and really don't like the sight very well. It's at my smiths' getting a trigger job and when it comes back I will be replacing the sights.

Just looked at the site again in depth and i see no batteries....guess it can be used here in Co.

Last edited:
Yes its legal in all states that allow fiber optics. This sight doesnt magnify anything other than the fiber optic, you still have to use the naked eye while aiming at a target. No batteries, just the green fiber optic that gathers all the light.

Some of my info on it, I still have to get in a lot more shooting to decide how well it holds up over time.
http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t6059-see-all-open-sights

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Yes its legal in all states that allow fiber optics. This sight doesnt magnify anything other than the fiber optic, you still have to use the naked eye while aiming at a target. No batteries, just the green fiber optic that gathers all the light.

Some of my info on it, I still have to get in a lot more shooting to decide how well it holds up over time.
http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t6059-see-all-open-sights
Good review, Have you shot out farther than a hundred yards with the seeall? I would be real curious to hear how it dose at 150 and 200 yards.