muzzle loaders

cacklercrazy

Feb 24, 2011
with all the different regs for the states out there what do you guys do. I'm new to muzzy hunting wanting to get my first riffle this year, but having a hard time figuring what I need and can't have on it. the states that I think I will be hunt are CO, Id, NM, UT in the future.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
I put a spread sheet together and update it every year on muzzy regs. With the states you provided, I have found the knight disc extreme the best rifle for me as long as your purchase the western bolt kit.

With this setup, you can hunt states that do not allow 209 primers( like Idaho) then switch to 209 for other states. Also obviously scope come on and off.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Colorado....no optics (magnification or electronic) fiber optics OK, No pelletized powder, no sabots. In-lines are legal, must be at least .40 for deer/antelope and .50 for elk/moose. Just some of the one off the top of my head. Go to cpw.state.co.us for all the details.

Probably should go to each states G & F website. Hope this helps some.

I have a TC Pro Hunter .50 cal.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Knight DISC Extreme is the best multi state rifle in production right now. As DrH mentioned, you will need the western bolt kit to hunt Idaho, in order to shoot percussion caps. You can scope this gun and shoot 209 primers in a state like NM. Here is the link:

http://www.knightrifles.com/muzzleloader-disc-extreme

Out of your list, CO and ID are the most restrictive in their regulations;

Last edited:

cacklercrazy

Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for info. I also see that cva makes a gun legal in the northwest. does anyone have experience with this gun and can it be changed over to 209 primers/

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Thanks for info. I also see that cva makes a gun legal in the northwest. does anyone have experience with this gun and can it be changed over to 209 primers/

That's pretty new and looks very interesting. Apparently the CVA Northwest versions were introduced at the 2014 SHOT show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w17WKqy8xhs

I love my CVA Accura, the Bergara barrel is very accurate and the trigger is crazy good for a stock muzzleloader. I also FAR prefer a break action rifle for clean-up. I'm gonna look into the CVA Accura Northwest Edition. It seems like you should just be able to buy a 209 breech plug to convert over. I'll have to check this out.

Here is the link to the CVA Accura V2 Northwest:

http://www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=625

I'd like to see if it is drilled and tapped for peep sights.

Last edited:

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
+3 on the Knight Disc Extreme! That is what I shoot. Mine is a 50 cal. I got the 50 over a 45 because some states require a 50 for elk and I wanted 1 gun I could go anywhere with. With the western conversion kit you can use either #11's or musket caps. I have Williams peep sights on it because they are legal anywhere. I use tripple 7 fffg powder because that is legal anywhere too. I use Knight redhots where sabots are legal and Hornady FPB's in Colorado. I have not hunted in Idaho with it yet where you have to use a nonjacketed bullet like the Hornady great plains.

Regs in the states you mentioned. CO: loose powder, no sabot, iron sights, 209 is legal. UT: Loose powder or pellets ok, sabot ok, 209 ok, no magnification scope or red dot scope legal. ID: loose powder, #11 or musket cap, no sabot, non jacketed bullet, iron sights. NM I have never hunted.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Even if you could get a breech plug for #11 or musket caps it wouldnt be legal in Idaho because the ignition has to be "exposed". TC makes a ML specifically for ID, WA, OR that has a notch cut in the back of the barrel to expose the cap so its legal.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I called CVA today about the new "northwest versions". I was told if you later want to convert this to a 209 ignition you would only need a new breech plug and a new firing pin. That would make that a true multi state muzzleloader.

When shooting a 209 primer, I prefer shooting loose powder (more accurate than pellets) and particularly BH209 where legal, so I would want to get the breech plug designed for BH209 and loose powder. The standard breech plug is designed for pellets. These videos show how easy it is to marry a new breech plug compatible with BH209:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqpl7bKZ5q0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsdpeQbbpEU

It appears a change over of the firing pin would be pretty easy, just remove a screw, which is often done to clean the firing pin anyways. To see how easy see this video at 10:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7aLbjneYkc

I really like the looks of the northwest version of the Optima or Accura. I'm looking at a new muzzleloader for this fall, so my wife and I both have one, and I'm going to give this a serious look.

Last edited:

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
In addition to the new 'northwest version', CVA has a breech plug for the Wolf, that will comply with Idaho's requirements. They were supposed to have it available by last summer, but they are now looking at this June. I've been emailing back and forth with them for a little over a year now, and will be sure to update when that becomes available.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I agree with Work2Hunt. My Omega shoots great, very accurate for a MZ.
I agree with you guy's about the Omega. I love mine! But... they usually don't shoot conicals very well due to the QLA. They are a much better sabot gun. That being said the Thor bullets shoot great out of mine so the search is over for now.