Mt. Emily Bull Bow Tag

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
Does anyone have any advice for killing a monster bull on the any bull Mt. Emily bow tag? :) I know some of the area as I have hunted it for bear. I'm not a very good bow hunter but I would like to kill something in the 300'spotting. Preferably better then my last bull with a rifle which was mid 300's. Do you think the 3rd or 4th week would be better?

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Hey Benj, congrats on your tag. I couldn't believe it when your dad told me you drew in the random draw!

So your season is August 27 through September 25. The moon is full on the 17th (end of the third week and beginning of the fourth week). I would even consider the second week, Sept 3 through Sept 11 but that is a tiny bit early. Ideally I would go somewhere around the 10th to the 20th if it weren't for the full moon. The best time would be prerut, immediately before the rut I would think. Your bigger bulls haven't herded up yet but are thinking about it. Typically they are going to be easier to hunt before they are herded up. If it was me, I'd likely go the second and third weeks (Sept 3 through Sept 18) if you can take the time off. As the moon moves closer to full, make your hunts earlier (start a couple hours before daylight) and try to locate and get close to bulls before daylight.

Last edited:

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Hopefully you can ID a couple areas that hold elk, then just take your time and don't blow them out. Should not be much pressure from other hunters. I only know one small private area in that unit, so am not much help in suggesting general areas, but I bet the ODFW office in LaGrande has some good ideas. There are wolves in the unit now, so that may change some elk patterns. I've seen some very good bulls in that unit. Most years when I cow hunt there, we see multiple 340-360 type bulls and often a 370+ candidate.

Good luck and have fun!

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
Hey Benj, congrats on your tag. I couldn't believe it when your dad told me you drew in the random draw!

So your season is August 27 through September 25. The moon is full on the 17th (end of the third week and beginning of the fourth week). I would even consider the second week, Sept 3 through Sept 11 but that is a tiny bit early. Ideally I would go somewhere around the 10th to the 20th if it weren't for the full moon. The best time would be prerut, immediately before the rut I would think. Your bigger bulls haven't herded up yet but are thinking about it. Typically they are going to be easier to hunt before they are herded up. If it was me, I'd likely go the second and third weeks (Sept 3 through Sept 18) if you can take the time off. As the moon moves closer to full, make your hunts earlier (start a couple hours before daylight) and try to locate and get close to bulls before daylight.
Thanks for the info Jim. You're always so much more scientific then us Tompkins's :) I think I'm going to head over on the first weekend and scout it out slash hunt. Later I will take a week off. I'm probably looking at the 3rd or 4th week of the hunt. I was an idiot 3 years ago and got married on the 7th of September. Oops. . . I'm really leaning toward the 3rd week for the hunt. I hear there are a ton of people the last week of the season (mostly spike hunters).

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
Hopefully you can ID a couple areas that hold elk, then just take your time and don't blow them out. Should not be much pressure from other hunters. I only know one small private area in that unit, so am not much help in suggesting general areas, but I bet the ODFW office in LaGrande has some good ideas. There are wolves in the unit now, so that may change some elk patterns. I've seen some very good bulls in that unit. Most years when I cow hunt there, we see multiple 340-360 type bulls and often a 370+ candidate.

Good luck and have fun!
I'd love to see at least one of those 370+ bulls. I don't think I've ever seen one on the hoof before. Mostly I want to just enjoy myself and connect with a decent bull. I've learned that if you put too much pressure to get a monster it can make the hunt less enjoyable. I just wish I had a someone with the tag hunting with me.

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015

Eastfork

Feb 14, 2016
Very nice work!!! Did both of those bull come out of the same hunt? Those are great looking bulls!!