MR Crew Cab or Eberlestock Blue Widow?

Grantbvfd

Jun 10, 2011
Anderson, CA
Like them both. I have tried on the BW with about 40 lbs on it and it was very comfortable. Unfortunately you can't try on a Crew Cab without knowing someone with one. Any opinions would help.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I really like my eberlestock j104 which is really similar to the blue widow, but I can say the suspension on the Kuiu Icon 6000 is much superior. You might want to add it to your options. I have never heard of anyone that didn't like their crew cab, other than the weight.

Grantbvfd

Jun 10, 2011
Anderson, CA
I really like my eberlestock j104 which is really similar to the blue widow, but I can say the suspension on the Kuiu Icon 6000 is much superior. You might want to add it to your options. I have never heard of anyone that didn't like their crew cab, other than the weight.
How long of a trip have you done in your 104? I'm looking for something versatile enough to take on 2 day trips as well as 5-7 day trips. I really like how you can separate your meat from your camp things using a spike duffel.
I was considering a KUIU but I'd rather sacrifice a little weight for durability.
I've also been reading up on the MR 6500. But not to sure if I would like everything in one big compartment.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I had my Kuiu for a 3-day trip. Room is NOT a problem, With the hood fully utilized, you can stuff a lot of junk in there. I have also used it for day hunts, and the thing packs down small, there is a ton of adjustability with the many straps it has, and they all use the same QR clips. There is a meat cell that separates the meat from the rest of the cargo, and puts it right against the carbon fiber frame. Meat in the Eberlestock just ends up as a big ball at the bottom. I use stuff sacks like spike camp duffels. there are bunches of pockets, maybe too many for my taste. It is certainly lightweight, it would save you around 3 pounds over the other packs you listed. It seems durable to me, but I will still have to put some more tough miles on it first.

The Icon's best feature is the suspension. It is super-adjustable, and super comfortable for me.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I had my Kuiu for a 3-day trip. Room is NOT a problem, With the hood fully utilized, you can stuff a lot of junk in there. I have also used it for day hunts, and the thing packs down small, there is a ton of adjustability with the many straps it has, and they all use the same QR clips. There is a meat cell that separates the meat from the rest of the cargo, and puts it right against the carbon fiber frame. Meat in the Eberlestock just ends up as a big ball at the bottom. I use stuff sacks like spike camp duffels. there are bunches of pockets, maybe too many for my taste. It is certainly lightweight, it would save you around 3 pounds over the other packs you listed. It seems durable to me, but I will still have to put some more tough miles on it first.

The Icon's best feature is the suspension. It is super-adjustable, and super comfortable for me.
Do you still have this pack? Is this the one with the super light weight frame?

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Do you still have this pack? Is this the one with the super light weight frame?
Yeah I still have it. It will be my primary backpack-hunting backpack this year. The whole things scales out at 5 pounds. Pretty light, and the carbon fiber looks sexy.

I still use my J104 for day hunting. I love that gun scabbard.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
Yeah I still have it. It will be my primary backpack-hunting backpack this year. The whole things scales out at 5 pounds. Pretty light, and the carbon fiber looks sexy.

I still use my J104 for day hunting. I love that gun scabbard.
Wow 5 pounds is awesome :eek:. The KUIU does look like a sweet system with that carbon fiber frame and suspension. Warranty looks good too on them. I have one of the older J packs Eberlestock and the gun scabbard is nice but that KUIU looks awesome.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Can you get a descent load on it? I use the Cabelas Alaskan Extreme and with my "modification" I have it under 5 lbs. This year in the bob I had it at 55 lbs and it is a dream, it carries weight so well. My only complaint or 2 is it is a bit noisy with no load. and the external frame hits branches in thick cover. Again, it's loud. But I would hold it up against anything when it comes to carrying weight. Just curious as to what else is out there for daily use and carrying a load if something goes down?

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Can you get a descent load on it? I use the Cabelas Alaskan Extreme and with my "modification" I have it under 5 lbs. This year in the bob I had it at 55 lbs and it is a dream, it carries weight so well. My only complaint or 2 is it is a bit noisy with no load. and the external frame hits branches in thick cover. Again, it's loud. But I would hold it up against anything when it comes to carrying weight. Just curious as to what else is out there for daily use and carrying a load if something goes down?
I haven't used it in a pack out yet, but it was designed as a pack for hauling out an entire sheep. I am confident 120 pounds won't be too much, but we will hopefully see soon.

Eberlestock Just One packs are also designed with "daily use and carrying a load" in mind.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
BB... WOW... I just read the review of the KUIU 3000 in the pack section... Very VERY impressive. Lead me to these questions. How is the breatheability of your back? And.... Do you have a place to store your rifle when hiking?

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Montana,

The breathabiliity is awesome! Due to the carbon fiber external frame, the only points of contact on your back are the straps and hipbelt. The rest is just free flowing air! Much superior to the BC Canadian and Eberle J104. The rifle is easy to lash on the side of the pack in a variety of ways. Kuiu has how-to videos on Youtube showing how to put a rifle and bow on the pack.

You mentioned liking the BC Canadian. I have a Canadian (Part of the SWAG from Eastmans a few years ago for an article), and I really like that pack too, but not as much as my J104 or Icon 6000. the Icon is like a lighter, higher-tech version of the Canadian. The meat goes right on your back, it expands, there are lots of organizational pockets, etc.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
Reading about Jason Hairston-Kuiu on their web site it sounds like they have a good grasp on what hunters need/want in products and he has a good background in the outdoor business side. The biggest combination factor will be if Kuiu conquered the lowering pack weight and sacrificing pack durability barrier.

I like the design of the pack. Like Bitterroot Bulls wrote earlier I like the idea of using stuff sacks in a similar fashion of the Spike duffle of Eberlestock. For me using my Eberlestock I've found there is only so far out I can go lashing stuff away from my back before I'm walking like the Hunchback of Notre Dame due to balance issues. If Kuiu Icon 6000 will do the 120 pound load and carry well, I'd be more than happy with that load. That's about the max limit I'd want to carry up and down the mountains at least.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Thanks Gents.... I could never dream of a 120 pd load :) 70 is around my top end for any kind of pack out. And would consider 70 lbs as a pack IN failure from the start :) Kuiu may be moving in as a front runner. Thanks again!!

ontarget7

Jan 14, 2012
Colorado
Have not tried the KUIU 3000 but the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab is by far my best pack to date and I have owned a bunch of packs to say the least. The MR is the only pack I have owned that I feel very comfortable wearing all day long without getting fatigued or sore from hot spots etc. Wouldn't hesitate to punch the trigger on their packs

Big Sky

Apr 6, 2011
Bozeman Mt.
I just about pulled the trigger on the crew cab but was told that they are coming out with a pack similar the the 3-day assult but with a rifle scabord next to the back. So for now its just wait and see.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Have not tried the KUIU 3000 but the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab is by far my best pack to date and I have owned a bunch of packs to say the least. The MR is the only pack I have owned that I feel very comfortable wearing all day long without getting fatigued or sore from hot spots etc. Wouldn't hesitate to punch the trigger on their packs
Yeah... That is a pretty consistent answer across the board for the MR....... I wish it wasn't so crazy expensive.

Thanks Big Sky... Good tip

Jul 28, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
I had the J107 but sold it for the Blue Widow. Both packs are excellent and an upgrade from my trusty Gregory 7000 cu. The only complaint I have so far is the water bladder pockets are kind of a pain. The locations don't make sense to me, but I am using a platypus bladder instead of the eberelstock bladders.