More Wyoming elk questions

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
Planning my first elk hunt has me feeling like a total rookie hunter again.

I have 3 points. I can either draw a general tag or put in the special and draw a unit that ive deer hunted twice and seen elk. I didnt elk hunt it, but at least id know where to start.

Im fortunate to have a new job where time off isnt an issue.

I will have a 3-4 day scouting trip/vacation in early august.
I plan to have 10 hunting days during september archery and can go back for a week during rifle if needed.

I have limited info on a general unit where a friend has hunted. I will also have someone with me who isnt hunting, but will help pack out.

My expectations for this hunt are to see elk. A trophy to me would be the 250+ range. I am going in to this with the mindset that its going to be a very time consuming learning experience and a lot of fun.

All that said...questions-

#1- If you were me, would you go for a general tag or the unit I have a small amount of knowledge from deer hunting? (The $500 extra sucks, but not an issue honestly) or a 3rd option?

#2- is it worth finding a drop camp or outfitter to get into better country/learn the area and how to elk hunt for a 1st timer?

#3- how bad is pressure on the general unit archery hunt? (I know this is a super broad question)

Also, if anyone wants to trade elk info- i can give info on wyoming deer y, antelope 20, 21, 22. Utah deer wasatch west, pahvant. Or trade ya a nice ohio deer hunt!

Thanks fellas!!! Elk hunting sure is fun to plan!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
No on #2, if you've found elk already, you've done half the work. I'd personal try for the special being that you got some knowledge in the unit.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Elk hunting is a blast to plan...

#1- Only you can answer that one. Knowledge of an area is worth a ton in the elk world but the fact that you are considering going elsewhere leads me to believe you don't feel great about the area you know. General tags open up a whole lot of area... but that can also be a hindrance if you have no clue where to focus your efforts.

#2- IMO, drop camps can be a decent option for those that already know elk. For a rookie, I don't think it would be much of an advantage. Given the amount of time you have, you will be able to locate elk.

#3- Pressure can really vary depending on the area and time of September. During the middle of the September in easily accessible areas, the pressure can get annoying.

If you can partner up with someone with good elk knowledge in an area, that would be your best option imo. Good luck and keep us posted!

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
Elk hunting is a blast to plan...

#1- Only you can answer that one. Knowledge of an area is worth a ton in the elk world but the fact that you are considering going elsewhere leads me to believe you don't feel great about the area you know. General tags open up a whole lot of area... but that can also be a hindrance if you have no clue where to focus your efforts.
my reservation comes because I saw a TON of hunters there during the rifle season and there are a lot of tags allotted. I know I'll have some competition in a unit like this, but I don't want to see more people than elk. I did find some nice bulls during August, I just don't know if they will still be there as they start to rut.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
my reservation comes because I saw a TON of hunters there during the rifle season and there are a lot of tags allotted. I know I'll have some competition in a unit like this, but I don't want to see more people than elk. I did find some nice bulls during August, I just don't know if they will still be there as they start to rut.
Once they rut...all bets are off. They become mobile on a new level and in a matter of hours have transitioned from isolated summer holes to pushing cows.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Usually a lot of tags mean a lot of elk... Good problem to have imo. If you have good bulls located in August, you should be able to hunt them the first week of September in the same general area. They may be starting to rut some but generally they will be in the same vicinity most years. Are you seeing cows in the area as well? If so, at least some of your bulls will still be there during the peak of the rut.

RJW

Jan 2, 2013
wapiti, wy
and don't forget the outdoor tv and marketing people will be out there, if its like it is here, magazine people you name it jamming things up and if you think there are tons of elk hunters you aint seen nothing if that area is open to Muley hunters and their guides saying screw everyone but their hunters....its a pita.