Montana contact and help

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Ok guys not wanting to come across as someone wanting your honey hole. I have a few posts over the years and have been an Eastmans subscriber for about 10 years. I have been building elk and deer points in CO for 8 years. Here is my deal. I have always wanted to hunt MT but never have. Honestly for two reasons 1. Bears 2. Complicated draw or so it seems(maybe my ADHD). Lol. I lived and worked in MT for 3 summers in West Yellowstone. I guided fly fishermen out of Arricks Fishing Flies and also did trips for the Firehole Ranch. Guess you would think I would have all the contacts I need to elk hunt but I wasn't in to elk hunting in mid 90's. Now I've been 6 years to CO and want to try MT. This past Oct I came back to float the Madison and realized how much I miss it up there. Either way my style is backcountry bow hunting...no interest in gun hunting. My Dad and I have a quote "the more miserable the hunt the happier we are". I know that sounds crazy but y'all probably all know what I mean. I'm use to doing 5-7 day bivouac style hunt. As for the bear fear...it seems the bear - hunter encounters have gotten more frequent and in areas where there use to be no sightings or very very few. I love that country between Big Sky down to West Yellowstone around to Ennis. However everyone I talk to says they won't hunt down that way anymore b/c of the bear encounters. I heard of a hunter this past year getting attacked up the West Fork. That was a place of interest. Talked to taxidermist out of Bozeman and he told me to put in for Elkhorns?? Ok I know this is long winded but if someone wouldn't mind helping me come up with a plan I would appreciate it. You can PM me and we can swap emails or phone #. Would love to discuss with a native. Thanks guys.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
If you are deathly afraid of bears that is one thing but I wouldn't not plan a hunt because of them. No doubt I have a pistol or bear spray on EVERY archery hunt but I am still out there every season. Elkhorns... That one is loaded but it is the mecca, 1 in like 2000 for drawing though. That Ennis area is amazing, good numbers and well doesn't get any prettier. You are on the right track, right area... Make it a 3-4 yr plan and dive in... You'll find the elk :)

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Forgot to address the draw process... You are correct, it is quite complicated. I know it well now but it took me years to get it. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them. The key points are March 15th you have to put in to see if you even draw, then after the draw, if you draw, then you apply for the special permits, don't remember those dates off hand. But March 15th is step 1.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
If you draw the deer/elk combo tag and then apply for a limited entry unit and don't get drawn and don't want to keep the combo tag, it will cost you around $200 I think. From a financial aspect, if you don't plan on hunting with your combo tag, it is VERY expensive to build points there. I have a couple limited entry units that I would love to apply for but probably wouldn't use my combo tag so it's just too expensive for me.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Montana, he will need to put in for BOTH the NR license AND the Special Permit before the early deadline. Only B (antlerless) Permits still have the June deadline.