Middle of Nowhere in January

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Back in January 09' a good friend and myself went into the Frank Church wilderness for the whole month to guide a couple lion hunts for an Outfitter. Our camp sat over 30 miles in any direction from a road. When we left the area at the end of fall season we left a few of our stock at a ranch on the Middle Fork, so we flew into the ranch and then rode the 9 hours to camp. We had to plow the runway with our draft horse team before clients could get in. The hunt was conducted on horseback everyday and usually we covered around 25 miles a day as long as the snow would allow us.It was a good time and ended with two nice toms for 2 separate clients. Thought I would share some of the scenery and pictures while we were in there.

Plowing the airstrip...

Dogs with the igloo houses we constructed..

Camp life..

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
There is nothing better than a deep back country hunt. Have been on a few in the Eagle Cap Wilderness. The sights and sounds are something that you have to experience to fully appreciate.
Thanks for the pictures and memories!

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Wow! Some kahonahs going back in there in January! Thats tough country when there is NO snow. Looks fun though.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Always see wolves in the Frank... especially during that time of year when the elk and deer are bunched up on the open faces. We had to stay pretty aware of the hounds at all times. Wouldnt have been the first hound to been lost to wolves back there

NRS

Feb 25, 2011
Idaho
Brave elk eating so close to the dogs, i guess that time of year thay will get any free meal they can.