Meat Packer / Horse Rental / Llama Rental Near Wapiti / Cody??

BKhunter50

Jan 14, 2017
Canton, Mississippi
Hey guys,

I'm trying to find the best option available for packing an elk out this fall other than hiring a guide. I'll be in the Cody / Wapiti area October 1 - until a get one or October 12th comes. I will be carrying a satelite phone with me - so I could call someone if I get something down and provide GPS coordinates, meeting times, that sort of thing. If I can't find a packer, I would consider renting horses or Llamas. I've been on the internet and found a couple of options - but most of the ones I've found are several hours from Cody. Does anyone know of a better option that might be available closer to the Cody / Wapiti area? IM me if you would. Thank you!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I think there is a guy with pack goats pretty close to there. If you are interested I may be able to give you a name if I search far enough back in my email.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Have you ever used pack animals to get a animal out? If not you really need to hire someone to do it for you.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Wyoming Horses and Flying W Horse Services do rentals and may deliver to the trailhead.
Have never used them.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Flying W is a small outfit south of Jackson and definitely not worth looking at for you... there is a Cody person who rents horses. I have a friend who has used him a lot, I will get back to you on his name and outfit when I can get the info from my friend

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
In 2015, someone gave me the name of Bob DeRoche when I hunted the Cody area. Bob said he would rent me a horse trailer and a couple horses if I got an elk down. His number was (307) 899-1909.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I bet lamas would be a better choice then horses. I?ve never used either but as a newbie I would assume lamas would be more manageable