Master Reloaders

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I just spent a weekend working up load Data on some loads for my 280AI. tried RL19,RL22 and 7828ssc, next is h4831,h1000. but tried 140gr ballistic tips 3000-3300. 150 nosler LRAB 2900-3200, 168GR LRAB 2700-3050, BERGER 180GR 2700-2900. all off nosler book for powder charges. used 175GR data on the berger load. had groups from 2" -1/4"groups still some room for variables primer brands and seating depths. but pretty close to season now so probably wait till winter for next load development session.

Last edited:

Kentucky hunter

Jul 22, 2013
loretto ky
I just spent a weekend working up load Data on some loads for my 280AI. tried RL19,RL22 and 7828ssc, next is h4831,h1000. but tried 140gr ballistic tips 3000-3300. 150 nosler LRAB 2900-3200, 168GR LRAB 2700-3050, BERGER 180GR 2700-2900. all off nosler book for powder charges. used 175GR data on the berger load. had groups from 2" -1/4"groups still some room for variables primer brands and seating depths. but pretty close to season now so probably wait till winter for next load development session.
You are using mag primers correct?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Regarding primers....

Over the years I've found very little differences in performance between the major primer mfgrs. In all my rifle loading I use "magnum" labeled primers.

Just sayin..........

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I am using magnum primers. these were cci.

CC, I do agree I just had some loads that just seemed good but would always throw one off. felt good but just off so I thought I would try some of my federal just to appease my mind. sometimes I feel like I am overthinking it but it can't hurt to try. I am pretty sure load development is just a patience game.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I am using magnum primers. these were cci.

CC, I do agree I just had some loads that just seemed good but would always throw one off. felt good but just off so I thought I would try some of my federal just to appease my mind. sometimes I feel like I am overthinking it but it can't hurt to try. I am pretty sure load development is just a patience game.
For my rifle calibers , I do prefer Federal primers. I think its more packaging than anything else.

Kentucky hunter

Jul 22, 2013
loretto ky
I don't shoot it, just a .220 AI Swift. Google .280 Ackley Improved reloading data. Lots of info.
CC can you explain compressed loads an the danger. I have read some but not clear on what to do the bullet that I want to load is super long an i think Im going to run into it being a compressed load with mag well clearance issues

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
CC can you explain compressed loads an the danger. I have read some but not clear on what to do the bullet that I want to load is super long an i think Im going to run into it being a compressed load with mag well clearance issues
A lot depends on the powder you are using. I only compress black powder loads. I would look at the powder mfgrs web page and see if they recommend it.

I just googled "reloading-compressed loads" and got lots of information. Check it out.

Last edited:

theleo91386

Apr 20, 2016
I run 140gr Accubonds using H4350 and mag primers. Like was said earlier, compressed loads depends on the powder. Some powders are more forgiving than others and some spike pressures VERY quickly once you compress them. The best example I know of (but not really applicable here) is Trail Boss. You can use it in pretty much any modern firearm (great for low recoil revolver loads) but it doesn't take much compression and you can blow apart a rifle action with it. If you're going to compress loads, stick to published loads or those for sources you trust beyond question.

Kentucky hunter

Jul 22, 2013
loretto ky
I run 140gr Accubonds using H4350 and mag primers. Like was said earlier, compressed loads depends on the powder. Some powders are more forgiving than others and some spike pressures VERY quickly once you compress them. The best example I know of (but not really applicable here) is Trail Boss. You can use it in pretty much any modern firearm (great for low recoil revolver loads) but it doesn't take much compression and you can blow apart a rifle action with it. If you're going to compress loads, stick to published loads or those for sources you trust beyond question.
What length barrel is on your rifle the one Im looking in to building has a 22 inch barrel looking to build a light weight mid range rifle

theleo91386

Apr 20, 2016
What length barrel is on your rifle the one Im looking in to building has a 22 inch barrel looking to build a light weight mid range rifle
Mine is a 24" fluted, 6 groove Lilja.

What are you looking for performance wise from your build? Most guys shooting a 280ai are using 24" or longer barrel to stay on the heals of 7mm Rem mag performance. With the slow magnum powders (h4350 would not be a magnum powder) lots of guys run to get the speed, you start giving up quite a bit of velocity as you dip below the 24"-26" barrel length. Unless you already have a long action purchased to start your build, you might want to look hard at a 270 WSM for a short action build that would give you as good as or better performance than the 280ai. With magnum powders you can be loosing upwards of 50-75 fps for every inch of barrel length you cut down. Once you look at that and consider most manufacturers reloading data is optimistic at best, the 280ai becomes less attractive in shorter barrel lengths.

theleo91386

Apr 20, 2016
On a side note:

Speer 110 grain TNT's ran up to somewhere around 3400 fps will anchor coyotes in there tracks while holding center of mass out to a couple hundred yards or so out of my 280ai. The only thing that surprised me about this load was the first coyote I shot with it was at about 60 yards and broadside, I got a half dollar size entry hole but no exit wound. It did turn into the most limber coyote I've ever handled though.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
I used 140 gr. Partitions in my .280 AI last year. I don't recall the exact specs off the top of my head but it shot well and was chronographed at 3230 fps! My powder was IMR7828SSC and I believe I used magnum primers as I slowly worked my load up.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
Mine seemed to like 7828ssc also. was really surprised by some of the velocities that I was reading.

Kentucky hunter

Jul 22, 2013
loretto ky
Mine is a 24" fluted, 6 groove Lilja.

What are you looking for performance wise from your build? Most guys shooting a 280ai are using 24" or longer barrel to stay on the heals of 7mm Rem mag performance. With the slow magnum powders (h4350 would not be a magnum powder) lots of guys run to get the speed, you start giving up quite a bit of velocity as you dip below the 24"-26" barrel length. Unless you already have a long action purchased to start your build, you might want to look hard at a 270 WSM for a short action build that would give you as good as or better performance than the 280ai. With magnum powders you can be loosing upwards of 50-75 fps for every inch of barrel length you cut down. Once you look at that and consider most manufacturers reloading data is optimistic at best, the 280ai becomes less attractive in shorter barrel lengths.
I have a T/C Pro Hunter with a 26 in barrel an working on getting back my Ruger M77 Mark II from a friend it has a 22 in barrel on it was think of having one or both rechambered to 280 AI sense the only thing I would have to pick up is a set of dies I may rebarrel the Ruger for a light weight mountain rifle I am not a fan of WSM just looking to hump up the 280 I have a 10 pound 300 RUM that shoots sub moa at 200 set up for 1000 yd shots just looking for someing in the middle to play with

quicknick

Oct 7, 2011
Atascadero, CA
I just built up a 280 AI on a remington action. It's a Shillen 25" barrel and I am just about to start working up loads. This thread has perfect timing. Are you buying premium brass in 280 AI or are you fire forming some standard 280 brass.

Kentucky hunter

Jul 22, 2013
loretto ky
I just built up a 280 AI on a remington action. It's a Shillen 25" barrel and I am just about to start working up loads. This thread has perfect timing. Are you buying premium brass in 280 AI or are you fire forming some standard 280 brass.
I will fire form my standard 280 brass when I get it done

Hardcorehunter5

Oct 6, 2014
I have a 280AI with a 26" pac-nor, blue printed m700 action in a mcmillian rem hunter stock that has had the lug bedded...nothing real fancy actually... A couple words of advice. First there is no sense in getting it in a 22" barrel. It will not produce anything better then a 270win in that barrel length. The purpose of the 280AI is to be near velocity of a 7mag in a standard bolt face rifle burning 8-10% less powder then a 7mag with nearly the same results...produces less recoil and can fire standard 280rem rounds. mag primers are recommended for charges of 60gr and above BUT they become more important in low temp and/or compressed load situations when near the number. It helps with consistent ignition... Fireforming is a PIA..ive done both COW and 280rem. I buy nosler brass, which is nonexistent currently....the round seems to do well with RL19,RL22,MRP AND 7828. Problem with all of those is temperature sensitivity..Ive been playing with Imr7977 and have had good accuracy so far. I may try RL23 too. as far as velocity dont waste your time with anything less then 2900-3000fps depending on bullet weight. Besides all that its a fun cartridge....

PS of you want a lightweight custom gun look into 260rem, 6.5creed, 260AI, or possibly 6.5SAUM.

-Hardcore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk