Map sources

jwmerrill27

Sep 6, 2017
Does everyone use maps while out hunting or mainly GPS?

What's a good source to get a map to bring with in the field?

Probably looking for a topo and aerial type of map, if possible.

Thanks

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I actually very seldom use my GPS when out hunting except for the private land I might be close to but usually that isn't even a factor where I hunt.

For general ground surface maps that do show private I like the Forest Service and BLM maps that each put out. Neither one of them is what I would call a topo but they suit my purpose.

Here is a online source where you can purchase the Forest Service or BLM maps.

http://plicmapcenter.org/

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I start with the National Forest map for the area that I plan to hunt. Then I go to mytopo.com and order up a waterproof topo map that I can customize to my needs. I like the lat./long. tic marks, and the UTM grid overlaid on the map. You can also get an aerial photo, but I find that it makes the topos hard to see. There are other companies out there that produce a similar product, but I have never felt the need to look further.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I use maps while scouting new areas. I rarely use GPS unless I’m in timber because I can get turned around sometimes.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
The use of a GPS with a chip or download has really changed our opportunities.

Previously we had no way to know where boundaries were. Even with a map and compass if there isn't a fence you have no idea where the boundary is. What's worse is fences everywhere. Being able to navigate narrow corridors of public can open up a whole lot of land.

National Forest and BLM maps are really helpful for planning purposes, and we always buy them for the areas we hunt. That said, GPS is what makes a lot of things possible.