LR Reticle

mtncowboy

May 10, 2014
WY
I am looking at a new 3-9x40 or 4-12x40 leupold scope with the LR reticle. For those who are not familiar with it, the scope has a regular duplex type cross-hairs but also has two dots on the lower vertical post. If you shoot a 30'06 and sight the main cross hairs in at 200 yards the first dot down is 300 and the second is 400. Have any of you had any experience with this reticle or a similar one? I am not interested in a scope with turrets, but have always been curious about one of these. I do pretty good shooting my old scope with a regular duplex, but I am curious about this particular scope so as to not have any guessing for hold over on longer shots. Also for you leupold fans, do you think there is a big difference between the vari-x and vari-xx? Thanks.

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
I have several scopes with similar reticles. They work great, but you still have to verify drops with the ammo you are using. The drops might not be exactly 300 or 400 yards, may be less may be more.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
mtncowboy, I use these scopes exclusively. Mine have the BC reticle. Lostriver is correct in that the drops don't always figure exactly. The best method I have found is to actually sight in with the 300 yard crosshair. It is important to do this with the scope set on the highest power. Then shoot the rifle at 200, 400, and 500 to see where you are hitting. Keep in mind that if you attempt a longer shot with the power setting not the same that your impact will be off. I have also noticed the drops can change a little at different elevations and weather conditions. Practice is the key as this system takes time and patience to stay accurate at long range. Good luck and feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.