Looking for insite on unit 150 / 151 Elk.

BKhunter50

Jan 14, 2017
Canton, Mississippi
Hey guys,

Need some guidance if you're willing. My buddy and I are thinking about doing the early season rifle hunt in unit 150/151. We're NR and will be bringing our own livestock. I've got two questions if anybuddy might be willing to help since I havent hunted Montana in 29 years (yikes - how did I get this old?).

1) Is there any issue with drawing the tag? If so, what are my odds?

2) Has anyone hunted it before and if so, do you have any feedback or pointers? Not asking for honey holes or
anything like that. Just want to know if I can expect to see animals if I do some homework and stay mobile - how
bad the bears and wolves are - that sort of thing. I'm in decent shape and can run faster than my buddy.....

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
Almost 100% success for non-resident permits, they provide a high number of permits (something like 70,000) and seldom do they issue them all to non-residents, in fact, around May or June a non-resident can buy the one of the remaining permits over the counter.

I don't hunt in those areas, I'm further south along the Continental Divide but I've heard that elk hunting is not as good as it once was in those areas (Bob Marshall Wilderness area). The Montana FWP posted this for the 2016 season.

Elk
Mild winters continue to help elk calf survival and recruitment. Elk populations in many areas in northwestern Montana are stable to increasing. Elk numbers in "backcountry" HDs 150 and 151 appear to be holding steady. Elk numbers in the lower Clark Fork area, the region's best elk producer, continue recent favorable trends with good calf numbers recorded during spring surveys. Adult bull numbers observed in surveys appear to be stable in many areas and should provide good hunting opportunities for the 2016 season.
Most of the state showed markedly lower elk harvest numbers this year (2016) because we didn't see heavy snows until after the season (my hunt area, 215, didn't get any snow until after the season ended). 2015 elk harvest numbers for non-residents were 39 bulls in 150 and 6 bulls in area 151.

MTHusker

Apr 22, 2013
Rammont, where do you get the 70,000 number from? It clearly states in Montana elk, deer and antelope guide for 2016 that 17,000 NR tags available. Yes, there have been tags available after the March 15 drawing the past few years. Also, a NR CANNOT buy a tag over the counter, they still must do it thru the FWP's.

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
Sorry, I used that number from off the top of my head, being a resident I don't have to worry about that stuff. The point is still the same, a non-resident can get a license fairly easily.

As for over the counter licenses, a non-resident can buy an Elk B (cow) license over the counter or they can wait until the first part of May when the any left over Big Game Combination Licenses can be purchased over the counter, online, or at the FWP offices. All of these are first come first serve so if you wait too long after they become available you might miss the opportunity. If you check the Internet you can find many references to buying surplus combo licenses. Here is a copy of the 2016 announcement from the Montana FWP

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/hunting/nr_2421.html
Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Nonresident hunters can now choose among Montana deer, elk and big game combination hunting licenses to purchase online or over-the-counter at any Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks office.

The surplus licenses, good for antlered deer and elk in most hunting districts, can be used statewide during the general hunting season.

First-come, first-served nonresident surplus hunting licenses available May 9 include: Montana’s big game combination license for $996, the elk combination license for $846, and the deer combo for $592. Montana’s nonresident combination hunting licenses allow one to hunt for deer and/or elk and include season conservation, fishing, and upland game bird licenses; and the base hunting license.

Last edited:

MTHusker

Apr 22, 2013
When you stated "over the counter" that may give folks the feeling they could go to any license provider, not just the fwp's offices. I also am a resident here in Montana, I am sure your aware, there are not a whole lot of options usually after the June 1st deadline for B tags. I would suggest any NR put in by either the March 15 or June 1 deadline.