Long Range Riflescope showdown

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
It will be a comprehensive evaluation. I own and have been impressed with products from all of these companies so I will keep any brand loyalty prejudice to a minimum.

Tests will include:

Optical Performance:

1. Resolution.
2. Aberration control.
3. Brightness.

Mechanical performance:

1. Tracking.
2. Reticle subtension.
3. Reticle cant.
4. Maintaining zero.

Feature comparison.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
E307,

Any particular reason you would prefer the MOA?

Do you just find it easier to think in roughly IPHY?

I went for the MIL, because I liked the idea of the slightly coarser adjustments for drops.

Whisky

Dec 7, 2011
North Dakota
I too predict the Leupold will come out on top. I'm still very interested in the results. I finally got my hands on a PST a week ago or so. Didn't get much of a feel for it because it was indoors and I was in a hurry. Someday I may have a SFP PST on a hunting rifle. Don't expect the glass to be of Mk4 quality, but overall good features for the price. Assuming it tracks, holds zero, etc...

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
u should also try the nikon monarch 5.5-20x42 bdc I bet its as good or better as the leupold
Gator, I am not familiar with that model. Is it a discontinued model? I am familiar with the current model Monarch 5-20X44SF. While it is a serviceable scope, it really isn't a long range scope, with its simplified circle-BDC and limited (34 MOA) total internal adjustment.

So far, all of these scopes have strengths and weaknesses. I am taking careful notes.

gator7275

Mar 12, 2012
Pittsburg il
Bitterfoot sorry my bad it is a 44mm you have the right model Im not sure what your are saying about the nikon have you visited the nikon spot on website it's quite good it allows you to plug in your bullet, caliber and velocity and wind and elevation etc and gives you a stat sheet for the bdc with my 7mm rem mag it pushed me out to 600+ yds

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
You need a CATS target from Horus Vision for the tracking test. You can build the same thing with a ruler and a marker, but the CATS makes it easier, and I think they are only $5 plus shipping for 3.
Thanks Edelweiss,

that looks like a really good option. I was going to make my own.

Dialing using the turret is 1980s technology, man you should have went for a Mark 4 with a Horus.

A lot of folks cry about the Horus being too busy, but I am in love!
Haha,

I have used Horus reticles a lot. they are certainly usefull, but I am one of those "too busy" guys.

The Swarovski BRH is a simplified Christmas Tree though, and it is in the test.

I don't mind dialing at all ... call me nostalgic.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Still working on it. I have taken a ton of notes, but I haven't done the tracking tests. I did get the Horus Vision calibration targets edelweiss suggested, and although they were way more expensive than I thought they would be, they are awesome!