Long Range Chokes

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
So I hear that long range chokes aren't good when you have mallards crossing less than 20 yards in front of you...

Or so Dan Turvey told me this morning...

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
So I hear that long range chokes aren't good when you have mallards crossing less than 20 yards in front of you...

Or so Dan Turvey told me this morning...
That depends. If you want to be absolutely sure you hit them they are great. If you intend to take pictures or eat them, not so much.:rolleyes:

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Sometimes bad things happen to good greenheads..

Speaking of chokes.. I've been shooting the mid range Creamator choke (basically constricted to a light modified..) Man, it is flat wrecking ducks in the decoys!

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
I go back and forth with my Patternmaster Long Range. It's great out at 40 yards but it patterns very small at 25. The good - I don't have cripples up close. The bad - I miss a few more up close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Choke selection formula. Age x eyesight x species / wind - outside air temperature = no way to solve it.

Choke selection formula. How many birds on the dinner table / sore arms carrying out x worn out dog = the right one

D.Turvey Jr

Feb 11, 2014
Powell, WY
Yeah the third shot worked on that one lol. The IC was much better this morning...still looking for the bulk of the birds though.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I thought we had them this morning, but they all disappeared two minutes before shooting light! Here is to next week.