Living A Dream (again)!

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Congratulations brother! Beautiful bear.
Can you share some details or story tidbits?
I took some time off work during the Spring Bear season and my wife and I were able to get a nice little bear here in OR. After processing it and getting it in the freezer, it was time to head to AK. I love AK and have had a lot of great hunting adventures there. But as an OR resident, AK law has restrictions on non-residents hunting grizzly , sheep or goat. A non-resident is required to have a guide or a resident relative within second degree of kindred. I'm unbeleviably lucky that 3 of my sisters migrated North to AK from OR and all 3 families enjoy hunting and fishing. My relatives are also more than willing to tag along to allow me an opportunity to participate in hunts that otherwise would be out of my reach (especially multiple opportunities for these species!). I also have an old high school friend and his family, that treat me like part of the family and include me in trips. I guess between all of these things and the fact that my brother-in-laws either own an airplane or nice boats, you can see why I feel extremely blessed as a poor man with an expensive addiction :).
As far as the bear hunt went, it was like they read the script. I was able to tag the grizzly on the 2nd evening and a nice little black bear on the 3rd morning! I did take the opportunity to break out Dad's .338 Winchester model 70 that was handed down to me. This is the second Grizzly/Black Bear combo trip I've made with it and that's kind of cool since this is a hunt my Dad always wanted to do, but worked too long and died too early to actually get the opportunity. Both bears were recovered in less than 30 yards, so that was also nice!
I was able to visit and have dinner with a whole crew of my family and friends while I was there also! As usual I'm already trying to plan my next adventure in the great state of AK!

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I took some time off work during the Spring Bear season and my wife and I were able to get a nice little bear here in OR. After processing it and gertting it in the freezer, it was time to head to AK. I love AK and have had a lot of great hunting adventures there. But, as an OR resident AK law has restrictions on non-residents hunting grizzly , sheep or goat. A non-resident is required to have a guide or a resident relative within second degree of kindred. I'm unbeleviably lucky that 3 of my sisters migrated North to AK from OR and all 3 families enjoy hunting and fishing. My relatives are also more than willing to tag along to allow me an opportunity to participate in hunts that otherwise would be out of my reach (especially multiple opportunities for these species!). I also have an old high school friend and his family that treat me like part of the family and include me in trips. I guess between all of these things and the fact that my brother-in -laws either own an airplane or nice boats, you can see why I feel etremely blessed as a poor man with an expensive addiction :).
As far as the bear hunt went, it was like they read the script. I was able to tag the grizzly on the 2nd evening and a nice little black bear on the 3rd morning! I did take the opportunity to break out Dad's .338 Winchester model 70 that was handed down to me. This is the second Grizzly/Black Bear combo trip I've made with it and that's kind of cool since this is a hunt my Dad always wanted to do, but worked too long and died too early to actually get the opportunity. Both bears were recovered in less than 30 yards, so that was also nice!
I was able to visit and have dinner with a whole crew of my family and friends while I was there also! As usual I'm already trying to plan my next adventure in the great state of AK!
Sorry for the drawn out beginning :)
Thanks for sharing! Great adventure for sure!
Congratulations again.

Reactions: gonhunting247