Lightweight 2-person Tent?

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
Just curious what guys are using for lightweight backpacking tents? I'm looking to upgrade from my Eureka Solitaire which is as light as tents get but its just too small for me. There is no chance for a full grown man to sit up in it which makes getting dressed/undressed a chore. I'm looking at the MSR Hubba Hubba?

Grantbvfd

Jun 10, 2011
Anderson, CA
Copper spur by Big Agnes is probably the best 3 season backpacking tent I have been around. Side entrance and good sized vestibule. Definitely one to check out.

NVBird'n'Big

Veteran member
May 27, 2011
Reno, NV
Lots of options out there, depends on your budget of course. I sure would love a Hilleberg but it will definitely be a few years before I can afford one!

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
+1 for the copper spur 2. The MSR's are a little heavier than the big agnes. Take a look at the Tarptent.

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
BA Copper Spur UL3 is what I have. It works great for two people. The UL2 I hear is a great tent also but from what most folks have said here on the forum it can fit two but you better be in love. There are a few folks here that use the UL2 for just themselves and really likes it. Search around on the forum there have been a few threads on this. If I had the dinero I would go with the Hilleberg as NVBird says. One sweet tent just costs a little more then I want to part with.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
If your looking for a BA tent head over to BAP!, they have used or demo tents at some really good prices. I think the website is www.wearbap.com I bought a pomer hoit sleeping bag from them that was a demo and looked brand new for half the price of a new one, and if I remember right it was around a $600 sleeping bag!

clacklin009

Apr 1, 2012
SLC, UTAH
If trying to save weight is the main goal you need to put the BA Fly Creek on top of the list. I feel the Copper Spur is more durable so I went that direction. I use 1P tents, they are small but save room in the pack. The copper Spur UL1 fits me just fine, but the pack must stay in the vestibule. I like Marmot tents as well, they will be heavier than most BA. Heavier tents usually have increased durability (at least when dealing with tents at high price points) so you will need to know your priority, weight, pack size, square feet, etc...

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Ive been using the BA Copperspur UL2 as a one man . Cant say enough good things about this tent. Plenty of room for gear and bow. Really like the two side entrances and two Vestibules.

Ridgerunner

Feb 21, 2011
I've had the copper spur and the fly creek, prefer to copper spur for the side vestibule and more headroom.

islandlaker

Feb 23, 2014
Minnesota
What is the advantage to a two man hilleberg compared to similar sized big agnes brand? Looking at weight the hilleberg is two to three times heavier.

YakCountry

Jan 26, 2015
Colorado
I recently upgraded to the MSR Nook 2 from a heavier North Face 2 man. I prefer a 2 man rather than a 1 man tent for comfort/space for myself and gear. I also value having vestibule space for my pack, bow and boots. I noticed many of the lightweight tents sacrifice vestibules to save weight.

The nook weighs in ~3lb 6oz with a footprint/stakes so it isn't the lightest tent on the market, but I like its living space, vestibule and setup - I also found a lightly used one used on ebay for a good price.

melsdad

Aug 24, 2012
S.W. Pennsylvania
I have the copper spur UL2 as well. I bought it for single person use with my gear and it is great. Two vestibules is great to keep boots and bow outside but out of the weather. My daughter and I have used it together (she is 11) on a hiking trip and it is fine for us. The tent is definitely quality made!