Lightweight 1 person tent under $150

hubba20

Mar 9, 2011
Southern Nevada
So I'm looking for a new 1 person tent that is under 3lbs. I know there are plenty of 1 person tents that are under 3lbs, but most of them are over $300 and since I'm a poor college student, i can't afford that right now. So i'm looking to keep it under $150...
Anyone have a tent that they have/are using and have had success with?
I've been thinking about the Eureka Spitfire tent, but I wanted to see what everyone else thought first...
thanks

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
if ur willing to up ur poundage by one look into the backsider t-5. 3.88 pounds. awesome rain fly with this tent, to me it made the extra weight worth it. and you can find it on cammofire for 80 bucks.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
Pretty tall request for $150. You will have to give up something. Either go floorless or fly/footprint if you are set on a free standing shelter. As long as you don't have to contend with bugs, you will be good to go. I have hacked up a low dollar small tent and got it to 3.1 lbs. I bought the tent on craigslist for $80. I bought 6 mini groundhogs and a small compression sack to put the fly and floor in. I have about $115 spent on this setup.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I have used this tent and for the money it has worked well. In fact I used it on a Elk hunt last year. It has good ratings great price and under 3lbs. It is a little tight inside but it is easy to setup and move when you have to. I think I pd $89.00 for one. Overall not a bad one man and surprisingly well made for the price. Oh and it rained two days in a row and everything stayed dry.
Eureka Solitaire 1-Person Tent

Mine set up last elk season.

Last edited:

hubba20

Mar 9, 2011
Southern Nevada
I have considered getting that Solitaire 25contender. The only thing I'm not sure about is that it doesn't have a vestibule... So there isn't anywhere to put your pack and boots and stuff at night, especially if it's raining...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
That is right no vestibule. I had a small light weight tarp I brought and set up a lean-to for my gear. With the tarp they both weighed right at 3lbs together.
I have considered getting that Solitaire 25contender. The only thing I'm not sure about is that it doesn't have a vestibule... So there isn't anywhere to put your pack and boots and stuff at night, especially if it's raining...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
When I was poor and in college I used just a couple of cheap tarps. It really doesn't take much work to make a shelter out of a couple tarps that is big enough to sleep and keep your gear dry. Of course you are sleeping on the ground...

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
Doing my first pack trip this year, I picked up a eureka spitfire 1 on eBay for 80.00, new they are about 129.00. I think they weigh a little over 3 pounds. Fairly tall in the middle so you can sit up at least. I have only set it up in the house, but simple and fairly roomy.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Used is a good option, I used a blue tarp straight out of college when my budget was ridiculous tight.....

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Used is a good option, I used a blue tarp straight out of college when my budget was ridiculous tight.....
I used a white tarp on my first backpack hunt:) Looking back with all the heavy stuff I took and things I didnt need to take I think Im lucky I even got to where I wanted to be....... lol

squirrelduster

Apr 26, 2011
Sebastopol, Ca
Check the the www.tarptent.com products out. I have a double rainbow and it's a real light weight setup. Wasn't crazy expensive like some of the other tents. About half the weight of my last tent and way cheaper. For low $200 range you can have a quality tent that will last many seasons.