Lets see your best archery buck, and the story behind it

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
scan.jpg Shot this buck on the third day of the hunt. Had watched him a few times, and every time we bumped him he would take the same escape route. The next day my dad set me up in the escape route and pushed him to me. I was so rattled my arrow was bouncing off the rest. My first shot hit him far back and low, thought I had blown it. Then he turned and came straight at me, giving me a ten yard shot. I double lunged him and he went 20 yards, turned around to look at me, and fell over. Could never repay my dad for that one, he was always great to put us kids in the right spot. Would have loved to see him shoot that buck. If your lucky enough to have the very first issue of Eastmans Bowhunting you can read the full story in there, called a fathers sacrifice.

elktracker

Feb 24, 2011
Jackson, WY
RUTTIN, awesome story and a great buck! Thanks for sharing. This year will be my first real try at mule deer with a bow, hopefully I can put up a pic and a story after Sept.

Elkcrazedfrk

Feb 21, 2011
Great buck and story Ruttin! Here is mine. Didn't draw my elk tag last year so i tried my hand at mule deer. I've shot some good deer over the years with a rifle,but have to say bow hunting muleys was a humbling expierence. They kicked my butt! After 10 failed stalks with a couple really close calls on one stud buck I was all but ready to call it quits and drink myself silly. Well, Stalk number 11 paid off. Not a huge deer, but a well earned one. My feet were so freak'n sore from sneak'n in with my socks.lol

elkmtngear

Feb 21, 2011
This was my biggest muley, Public Land, Northern California, DIY. I had watched him the evening before I shot him moving out into a small clearing, so I put up a tree stand so I might get a chance to ambush him the next day.

I got in the stand in the early afternoon, and I was hanging on for dear life as a mid-day storm blew through. When the storm clouds passed, it got very very quiet. No wind at all. Soon after, I heard soft footfalls advancing into the clearing. I didn't get too excited, I thought it might be a doe, but you can imagine how my pulse rate quickened when I saw this guy feed right out in front of me at 25 yards!

I reached for my bow, and the buck looked my way, hearing the movement....that's how quiet it was! Every time he would move, I would make another move to get the bow drawn. We played "cat and mouse" like this for what seemed like an eternity, until I finally got to full draw. He put his head down to feed, and I had a good, steep, quartering away angle on him, so I let fly. I heard the arrow smack him, and he immediately turned and trotted off, with the arrow side away from me. I had no idea if the shot was good, the only "clue" that he might have been hit, was the fact that he sort of tripped over a sage brush a little bit on his way to the treeline.

I waited for my Dad to come and pick me up at Dusk, and I told him I had hit a "big buck", so we walked over to where I had hit him. Good, bright red blood sprayed everywhere! But, since it was dark already, and I still wasn't sure where I hit him, I told my Dad I wanted to sneak out of there, and pick up the blood trail in the morning. I didn't want to take a chance on bumping him if he wasn't good and down!

I found out sleep does NOT come easy when you have hit the biggest buck of your life! I kept playing the shot over and over in my head, hearing the "smack" of the arrow, seeing him enter the timber. Just not knowing for sure is the worst feeling!

Next morning, we walked over to where I saw him enter the timber, and immediately picked up his blood trail. A short while later, I found him, just 150 yards from where I shot him! He was a beautiful Muley buck in his prime, almost exactly 29 inches wide. The arrow had hit a little further back than I would have liked, but it buried all the way up through the liver, and caught the tip of the far lung, so he had died quickly and calmly. It was one of the best eating bucks I have ever taken.

It was an amazing experience, and I was so happy I got to share it with my Dad. I will have the picture on my mantle until the day I die. Thanks for reading

Best of Luck,
Jeff

Attachments

MuleyHunter

Mar 23, 2011
Fruita, Colorado
Archery bucks

Some serious archers here for sure ! Congrats to all ! Great bucks everyone ! :cool:
My best archery buck I took when I was 16 on the last day of the season. It was not one of my best shots for sure. I got to within 45 yards and got busted. I pulled an arrow out of my quiver keeping my eyes on the buck and pulled out my grouse arrow. When I released the string I watched the arrow spiral down towards the buck, instead of flying straight, due to one of the fletches hanging half way off. The arrow struck the buck in the front of the rear leg and I watched him kick his back and take off. I knew it was bad !

I left the buck and marked the spot and went back and got my dad and brother. We gave him about 1 1/2 hours and started following the blood trail. The trail was decent in the beginning, but after about 200 yards started getting slim. The buck went across some quakey down falls and we lost the blood. While my dad and brother started circling I headed down the canyon. I went about 300 yards and found a small drop of blood on a single yellow quakey leaf. I knew I was going in the right direction. As I headed down a little further I found where he pulled out the back half of my arrow and there was a decent pool of blood. The trail was good for about 250 yards and then I lost it again. So I headed where I thought he was heading again and found one more small drop of blood. I looked out and there was just a huge sagebrush flat, kind of like corn rows, about 3-3 1/2 feet high. So I just started going up and down each row and about half way through I seen him about 20 yards as he picked up his head. He could not get up and I dispatched him quickly.

My dad and brother had given up and were headed back to camp for lunch in the old Bronco. They had taken and old 2 track to head back to camp and maybe catch me walking on the road. Well I got lucky and had just got the buck to the 2 track as they were pulling up.

He grosses 158 6/8" and netted 154 6/8. I am very proud of this buck and am very lucky to have recovered him, but I was not about to give up.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
My first archery buck

Great stories and deer guys. I love reading about others successful hunting stories. Heres mine.

My first archery buck was taken back when I was 16. I purchased a bow from Cabelas, a Bear Whitetail 2 or something like that, some aluminum arrows from Wal-Mart and a couple broadheads. I had no sights and a little flipper type rest on the bow. I practice for about 6 months before season and figured my 4-5 inch group at 20-30 yards was great. Its amazing how technology has changed the world of archery hunting. I woke up on Saturday morning, opening day, and headed to the area I was going to hunt. I hunted the area for a few hours until it got really hot and I couldn’t take it anymore. I headed about 2 miles down the road to a little coffee shop and had breakfast. While I was eating I decided to go back out and try another spot where I had seen a couple deer years before. It was an old water tank road about a mile from where I was eating breakfast. I started walking the road and looking up at the thick brush growing on the slope above the road, trying to pick out a horn or an ear. When I got about ¾ of the way up the road I decided to look over the down sloping edge and see if anything was down there. As soon as my head crested the edge of the road and I could get a view of what was below, I saw two bucks. The closest buck stood up and gave me a broadside shot at what I guessed to be 20 yards. I pulled back and let my arrow fly. I hit him perfectly behind the shoulder and he ran about 50 yards and piled up. The second deer jump up and ran directly away from me revealing a huge rack. I probably should have practiced more patients and might have had a chance a better buck, but that’s how things go. I made it down to my buck, field dressed him and drove back down to the coffee shop to call my grandfather and tell him what I had done. He was excited and met me at my house to help me skin my first archery buck. My grandfather taught me how to hunt and fish at a very young age. I owe him everything. Without him I would not be the man I am today.

1st-Bow-Buck_small.jpg

Sharpstick

Mar 1, 2011
Kamas, Utah

Our best bucks taken with archery gear. One on the left, my son took in 2003 just before he left on an LDS mission to Brazil. What a great send off and memories for two years. Buck on the right, I took last year on the 28th of August. It was with two other bucks as they came down the mountain to feed in the alfalfa meadows for the evening. It was about fifteen minutes before sundown and they came right up to the sage blind I was hiding behind. The lead buck spooked at five yards, but the buck I took and another stopped at 45 yards to look back to see what had spooked the lead buck. The shot was a bit too far forward but luckily my G5 Striker did it's job and the buck only went maybe 15 yards before tipping over. It's a lot of fun hunting with my friends and sons and we've made some awesome memories hunting together.

RobinHood

Feb 27, 2011
Henderson, NV

Our best bucks taken with archery gear. One on the left, my son took in 2003 just before he left on an LDS mission to Brazil. What a great send off and memories for two years. Buck on the right, I took last year on the 28th of August. It was with two other bucks as they came down the mountain to feed in the alfalfa meadows for the evening. It was about fifteen minutes before sundown and they came right up to the sage blind I was hiding behind. The lead buck spooked at five yards, but the buck I took and another stopped at 45 yards to look back to see what had spooked the lead buck. The shot was a bit too far forward but luckily my G5 Striker did it's job and the buck only went maybe 15 yards before tipping over. It's a lot of fun hunting with my friends and sons and we've made some awesome memories hunting together.
Great Story! Did he get to see the mount before he left? The anticipation of coming home was pretty intense, I am sure a deer like that would made it that much more exciting ... thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
Sorry to those that have seen these before.....just trying to get some action on this thread so maybe we can see some more bucks. Maybe even Ryan will post some his toads. :)

My best archery non-typical arrowed on the Kaibab in 2000. Hunted 17 days straight until it finally came together. He was hanging with a giant typical (185" class) but I really wanted a true non-typical. He's one of the biggest bodied deer I've ever taken. He's a 9x10 with really good mass. Only a 16.5" inside spread and grossed 203" and netted 197" net P&Y. Goes to show they really don't need to be wide to score well.

Here's my best typical that I arrowed on the AZ Strip in 2008. Arrowed him 15 minutes into opening morning. I'd like to say it was all skill, but LUCK had a lot to do with it. Right place right time. He's a 31" wide buck that grossed 197" and netted 191 2/8" P&Y. Just a beautiful looking typical buck, IMO. Hope you enjoy.

Sharpstick

Mar 1, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Thanks, but no he didn't get to see the mount before he left. I did make him some jerky, put it in foodsaver bags, and sent him some of the meat. Don't know if that was at all legal but he did get the package and enjoyed some the meat. When he got home, I think he was almost as excited to get his hands on the mount as he was to see his girl friend who had waited for him the two years.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Here he is. A couple years ago from the texas hill country. I hunted this deer for about 47 minutes before I smoked him. Scored 14 P&Y!

elkmtngear

Feb 21, 2011
Here he is. A couple years ago from the texas hill country. I hunted this deer for about 47 minutes before I smoked him. Scored 14 P&Y!

Doe Nob,
Man, it's too bad you lost points for symmetry, he should have easily been in the 20's! ;)

Best of Luck,
Jeff

BuckeyeDIY

Mar 13, 2011
Little Hocking, Ohio

NRS

Feb 25, 2011
Idaho
With limited time to archery hunt due to work I have to pick spots pretty close to home that I can hunt evenings after work or on the weekends. Found a bach group of bucks about a 10 min drive from my house and watched them for several day before the season, I was hoping to get one in velvet but had to leave town for a week during the opener and when I got back they had all shed there velvet. Anyways, I went out on a Saturday morning and watched about 6 bucks feed untill about 10am and then bedded them down in a bluffy area below a small cliff. I was able to sneak around and get above the deer for about a 15 yd shot, I didnt have a shot at the biggest one in the bunch but this one gave me a perfect shot so I took it and nailed him in the heart with a muzzy 100gr b-head, he ran 15yds and piled up. Not a huge buck but im proud of him and hope to get the big boy this year!

Attachments

Last edited: