Leftover or returned tags

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Seeing how my general hunt sold out instantly and banking on a controlled draw. Has anybody had any luck on getting a leftover or returned tag? If a strike out on my controlled hunt draw, maybe there’s a glimmer of hope at still scooping up a tag?

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
can't speak to the leftover or returned but I typically have better luck in the second controlled draw then I ever do in the first

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
10-4. I was just thinking that all the NRs that bought up the general tags right away might also be applying for a draw hunt and returning some general tags. It may be a long shot, but dam I want a tag so I can hunt. I missed this fall, due to my dads illness. I’m not missing another season.
I might just buy a general archery only unit 55 late tag. Never been there before, but at least I’d be hunting. And that area sure looks pretty.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I went ahead and bought my general deer tag unit 55, late archery. It’s my insurance plan for not drawing a controlled hunt. Never set foot there, but at least I’ll be out hunting!

Reactions: LCH and kidoggy

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
nice! should be a fun hunt
Thanks man. I’m going solo, so it’ll be an adventure. Since Ive never be there, I gotta do a lot of e-scouting and plan on being mobile as possible until I get on some deer. You have any idea on the general conditions at that time of year there? Is it too cold to sleep in truck or camp? Like I said, I’d like to cover as much ground as possible.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Thanks man. I’m going solo, so it’ll be an adventure. Since Ive never be there, I gotta do a lot of e-scouting and plan on being mobile as possible until I get on some deer. You have any idea on the general conditions at that time of year there? Is it too cold to sleep in truck or camp? Like I said, I’d like to cover as much ground as possible.
from thanksgiving till mid feb, I would expect anywhere from 0 to 30s for the lows with highs maybe around 50 or so tops.

snow is a crap shoot but probably won't be more then a foot or so , probably less. mud is just as likely during the days.

camping is an option but plan for cooold and wet conditions!
good news is , in worst case weather there is lodging available in burley and albion. maybe oakley but not sure. burley is best bet for rooms.
several years ago when hunting down there I stayed at the almo inn in almo /elba? it was nice . there was a steak house I think but we didn't eat there.

almo INN
3200 elba almo rd
almo idaho
208 824 5577

Last edited:

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Awesome, I really appreciate the input. That’s a little warmer temps than I assumed. But with the warmer temps and moisture, can definitely make damp chilly bones! Nothing that hasn’t been dealt with before.

Reactions: kidoggy