Laramie Wyoming activities

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
My family and I lucked out in the draw and got UNIT 44 antelope buck tags. We are going to do our hunt in the middle of October due to me being in Kansas on a whitetail hunt for the antelope opener. I'm hoping that I don't ruin our chances at filling our tags by making this decision. The main reason for my post is- After filling our tags, we wanted to spend some time doing something else while we were out enjoying Wyoming. We have tossed around the idea of shooting prairie dogs or Fly fishing the streams and lakes near Laramie. Does anyone have any input on these ideas in this part of the state? Any other must do's while we are there? We are planning on being there from oct15 - oct 20th. Hopefully we can fit in 2 days of fun on top of the hunt. Thank you!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
You should still have a good hunt at that time- very few other hunters will be out. The fall fishing can be great, even on the river in town as long as the weather treats you good. The river holds some good brown trout, up to 25" if you get really lucky. In the fall I like to use minnow imitations and slightly larger lures. If fly fishing, give good sized streamers a try. The territorial prison is worth seeing. You will also be a close drive to the snowy range mountains. There is great fishing and scenery in October. Deer and elk seasons will be going so if you hike, wear orange. Albany has great food and if you have time, the Prarie Rose in Laramie has the best breakfast burrito anywhere imo. I had breakfast there yesterday on out way back home to Nebraska.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Not sure how many tags you have or how familiar you are with the area. But it looks like a lot of access is by foot in this unit. If you have several tags you might need the days to locate and fill the tags. I always seem to need every day of hunting I have.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Might have a football game in town that weekend, it will be busy but fun.
Fishing is great that time of the year. River in town although no one local eats those fish, UPRR tie plant was upstream, and plains lakes.
17th St Cafe is also very good, Prairie Rose is always good.
A short drive to Sybille Canyon and you can see the big bull elk in the pens at the research center from the highway, they feed about 7- 7:30 every morning right at the fence. Fishing on the state sections along that highway can be good as well, browns and brookies. Bighorn sheep can also be seen as you drive later in fall.
If it's open the dino museum on campus is pretty neat, free.
Territorial Prison is pretty cool as stated.
Oct 15 is opening of general elk season so most will be up chasing elk.
We have several craft breweries now, most are kid friendly to some extent. We enjoy The Library, decent bar and grill food as well but the owners are friends so we're biased.
Centennial is a neat little town at base of the Snowies, good food there and a nice drive into the mountains up to Med Bow Peak .

Hit up all the county roads and look over the various state and BLM parcels,especially in the southern part of the area.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
You should take time to see the Snowy Range. It is very different than the open country where you'll be hunting antelope. The Snowy Range offers great sight seeing, fishing, ATVing etc. But be careful, the first significant snow of the year often falls in mid to late October.

Reactions: sneakypete

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Awesome info guys! My wife and I would love to take the trip to the snowy range and who doesn't love a great breakfast burrito! I will definitely have time to stop by prairie rose. No-one said anything about the prairie dog hunting- does that mean that the towns I am seeing on ONx are no longer there? Looks like I may spend my free time fishing, I doubt I do much hiking, My mother-in-law and my one year old will be along on the trip so site seeing options will be our easiest option for entertainment.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
There are still prairie dog towns but the easily accessible ones on public get a bit shot up. I did it a lot as a kid but anymore it just doesn't do anything for me. If you are looking for additional shooting, call some coyotes in the foothills. Not too many guys start until after big game season so you can find some rookies to call in fairly easily at that time of year. That's also not a bad way to meet some landowners. Many of them are happy when a guy shows up looking to help control his predators.

Reactions: TN911

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
We have some good spots to shoot PD if you want to, saw a nice sized town just this weekend on state land. Coyotes are always around for calling too.
You might find some live music up in Centennial at The Bear Bottom, good food there as well.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
When calling coyotes out west, Are you using electronic callers? I have an alpha dog, but I don't have much luck with it here in Missouri. That would be a fun way to spend a day in the foothills. Do I need another license to hunt coyotes in Wyoming?

wy-tex- If you want to PM me some directions or GPS coordinates of that P Dog town that would be awesome!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
No license needed for Coyotes in Wyoming. I usually use a jack rabbit or cottontail in distress manual call. I have had luck with a foxpro as well using a variety of sounds.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Do you have to wear orange while calling coyotes? I would think they would pick you off pretty good sitting in an orange vest?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Do you have to wear orange while calling coyotes? I would think they would pick you off pretty good sitting in an orange vest?
I don't believe so but I haven't read through the regulations in some time- would be good to polish up on them. I haven't worn orange in the past but I might consider it depending on where you go during deer and elk season. If you are sitting behind something your orange would only be visible from behind. I call them in while wearing normal blue jeans and a solid colored shirt frequently but my setups aren't conventional. They typically wouldn't be able to see me until they are inside of 100 yards.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
No license or orange required for coyotes. Mouth calls or electronic would work.
Pretty much drive outside of town and find a state section , it will have some.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Thank you guys. We are really forward to this trip. We are not going to be "trophy" hunting but can anyone tell me what size antelope is a good one for that area?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
My friends and family have taken several in the 13-14" height in the last 10 years. I think a low 70s buck is very possible on the public areas (Spiegleburg and Monolith). If you get on a private ranch, that can go up. The Laramie Valley has good genetics and is capable of producing B&C bucks but they are pretty rare. Don't ignore the other small public accessible parcels - they can be worth taking a look.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
My friends and family have taken several in the 13-14" height in the last 10 years. I think a low 70s buck is very possible on the public areas (Spiegleburg and Monolith). If you get on a private ranch, that can go up. The Laramie Valley has good genetics and is capable of producing B&C bucks but they are pretty rare. Don't ignore the other small public accessible parcels - they can be worth taking a look.
That is great info! I spoke to someone in the Laramie office and was asking about getting permits to the Spiegelburg and Monolith ranches. I was told the permit is free but you can only get one or the other with no option to scout the parcel before getting the permit. With us going in blind I don't know if we should split the group and get 2 permits for each ranch or all get permits for one or the other. Will that time of year determine which parcel will hold antelope over the other? I am very torn on what to do here and was told I should apply for my permits before going on the hunt. Any advice?