Kuiu super down pants

archer8524

Aug 31, 2011
Does anyone have any experience using kuiu's super down pants or any other mid layers? I'm looking for a warm mid layer for my late season hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
They will be REALLY warm. Have you looked at their Guide pants?

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

archer8524

Aug 31, 2011
I have the firstlite north branch pant now. They are fairly warm, I'm just looking for a piece I can add for my late season still hunts.

archer8524

Aug 31, 2011
Mainly for when I go to Kansas for whitetail. Low activity combined with the cold and wind usually leaves me shivering lol! I really like that they have the full length zipper so I could take them off without completely undressing.

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
I like to pack the SD Pants on hunts that see temps in the mid 20s or lower. Not that mid-20s is all that cold, but having the down pants allows me to pack a light 30-Degree sleeping bag. If it's cold at night I wear the down pants in my bag to stay plenty warm. Then the pants are available during the day to throw on while glassing. In my experience they're actually not too hot to wear as a mid-layer while hiking if the temps are in the upper-teens. Everyone is different though.

With just over 1.5oz of down, this pant is still considered an active layering piece. They're not going to cook you alive by any means.

In the KUIU system, carrying a 30-degree bag and SD Pants only weighs 3oz more than the 15-degree bag alone, and that extra 3oz goes toward substantial versatility in around the clock temp regulation. Something to consider if you will be living out of your pack on your late season hunts.

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
Mainly for when I go to Kansas for whitetail. Low activity combined with the cold and wind usually leaves me shivering lol! I really like that they have the full length zipper so I could take them off without completely undressing.

I would think adding the down pants under your Northbranch pant would be a really nice treestand setup for the cold. The down-proof coating on the SuperDown nylon really adds to its ability to block the wind. Between that and the softshell outer layer you would be pretty well protected.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Low activity any of the super down pieces will be plenty warm. What BSA hit on is exactly the right answer, sub 20 degree weather is when the lighter stuff stops being warm enough.

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

archer8524

Aug 31, 2011
Yeah I think it will fit the bill pretty well! I'm not living out of my pack at this point, but I am trying to buy gear that will give me the option to in the future. BigSur makes a good point with the sleeping bag and down pant combo! I really like that versatility. How is the sizing on the super down pants? I ware a med. in kuiu's merino.