Kuiu or Sitka?

archer8524

Aug 31, 2011
I'm looking for a new vest. I cant decide between the Kuiu Guide DCS Vest or the Sitka Jetstream lite vest. Has anyone used any of these vests?

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I have ran the standard Kuiu Guide vest the last two years, and it is one of my favorite pieces. It cuts wind, shrugs off moisture, adds a bit of warmth, and layers easy.

DryFlyGuy

Feb 21, 2011
Cody, Wyoming
I've used both and I don't think there is a definitive choice here. The Jetstream lite cuts the wind better and I like the longer tail. They are both very good vests, but the chest pockets are useless on either if you use a bino harness. Look at the Jetstream lite jacket for properly placed chest pockets.

archer8524

Aug 31, 2011
yeah i really like the pockets on the jetstream lite jacket! I wish they did that on the vest.

Bubba19

Feb 22, 2011
If your looking for a warm vest, I would really look at KUIU new super down vest. I used the Super down jacket this year and let me tell you it is worth its price and warmth. I'm looking at getting the pants to throw on when I'm setting and glassing in wind chills days. But you cant go wrong with both companies.

DryFlyGuy

Feb 21, 2011
Cody, Wyoming
BigSur,

Will the SD vest do anything to cut wind or is it strictly insulation?

Also, when the heck can I get a Tiburon zip tee in Vias? I check the site at least once a week.

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
The shell fabric on the SD Vest is the same as the jackets, so it will cut the wind slightly- nothing like a hardshell though.

The Tiburon ZipT is undergoing a design and makeup change, and it will not be ready until next year. The updated model will be worth the wait though.

DryFlyGuy

Feb 21, 2011
Cody, Wyoming
Thanks Big Sur.

The website is advertising the vest as wind proof and I know my 1/4 zip is not wind proof. I am glad that I have the SD hoodie on the way before you guys cancelled the hoodie.

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
The SD Hooded Jacket is definitely not in any danger of being discontinued, it's a very popular piece- and for good reason!