Kifaru / Stone Glacier Pack Comparison

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
My opinion hasn't changed from the article. I find the Kifaru BT1 to best suit my needs with just the right amount of organization.

I do grab the SG for quick trips though.

Both companies have awesome designs out for 2014 as well. The Kifaru Nomad is especially interesting.

You will not find very many disappointed owners of products from these companies.

I was lucky to visit with Steve at EXO at the SHOT show too, and tried on a prototype EXO pack. I was impressed with the design, and I am hopeful it will be another quality option for serious hunters.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
I wish I could have made it to the Wild Sheep Sheep foundation in Reno to check out Kifaru in person. So many options, packs and ideas.... It would be nice to be able to try them out in person, weighted down and see how they feel up close and in person. Thanks again for the write up. I've heard a lot of good things about both packs.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
I wish I could have made it to the Wild Sheep Sheep foundation in Reno to check out Kifaru in person. So many options, packs and ideas.... It would be nice to be able to try them out in person, weighted down and see how they feel up close and in person. Thanks again for the write up. I've heard a lot of good things about both packs.
If you ever make it to Reno, your welcome to try out my kifaru.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Great review BB! I loved this part and the and the pic with it!! Now thats testing!

throwing loaded bags off of cliffs, rolling loaded bags off mountains

MWScott72

Jan 27, 2012
West Jordan, UT
Thanks BB! I thought I was leaning towards the Stone Glacier, but now I'm not sure. Are there any stores out there that carry these or are they strictly online orders? That's the one hard thing on so many of these top end items...they're so advanced that your average stores (Cabelas, Bass Pros, Sportsmans) won't carry them. Maybe they'll be at the Western Hunt Expo next week...I can only hope.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Kifaru only sells direct. Stone Glacier is sold out of Schnee's in Bozeman, MT.

Many guys that have these packs are willing to let you check it out if they live near you.

Another note:

Everybody wants to have a clear winner in a gear comparison, but the truth is when you get to gear at this level, it is all really good. I preferred the Kifaru for my uses.

Like I wrote in the article, some people will prefer one over the other, based on their preferences, but both are absolutely top shelf.

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
Thanks BB! I thought I was leaning towards the Stone Glacier, but now I'm not sure. Are there any stores out there that carry these or are they strictly online orders? That's the one hard thing on so many of these top end items...they're so advanced that your average stores (Cabelas, Bass Pros, Sportsmans) won't carry them. Maybe they'll be at the Western Hunt Expo next week...I can only hope.
I know Aron from Kifaru is planning on being at the show. I'm not sure if they have a booth.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I finally pulled the trigger on a Kifaru DT1 with bikini frame after reading lots of posts on another forum and reading BB's review. I can't wait to put it to use over the summer on some backpacking trips! My only concern is that it will be to big for day hunts? I really wanted a pack that performs well at both day hunting and extended hunts. I figure if it's to big, it will be easier to find a day back then having a pack that's to small. Thanks to BB for his work and reviews!

Grantbvfd

Jun 10, 2011
Anderson, CA
Might have to take you up on that one. Reno is a lot closer than Colorado. :)
I work around the bay a fair amount throughout the year. I can meet up with you next time im down that way I will pm you. I also live in the Redding area if you are up here you are more than welcome to check out my kifaru stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
I work around the bay a fair amount throughout the year. I can meet up with you next time im down that way I will pm you. I also live in the Redding area if you are up here you are more than welcome to check out my kifaru stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
That would be awesome. I really want to try one out. I was even thinking of taking a road trip to Colorado if I had to.

Jul 6, 2013
South Dakota
Last summer I debated back and forth between the Kifaru and the SG. I wanted the camo of the Kifaru and the light weight of the SG but the Kifaru takes several weeks to get and would not have got before hunting trip so I bought the SG. After one season I couldn't be happier. Thanks BB for all the testing.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I couldn't decide which one was funnier. Watching BB kick a perfectly good bag off of a hill so we could "see how it did", or watching Aron throwing a loaded Kifaru bag up and down in his front yard to see if he could knock the load loose.