Jet Boil for two?

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Here is my question. Me and a buddy are splitting the weight on several items and we were wondering if we both need our jet boils? We are carrying Mountain House meals and were wondering if we can just use one for both of us?? If so is two small cans of fuel enough for 8 nights in the backcountry or should we have 3 or 4 cans? We will also boil water in the morning for coffee. But mainly four water boils a day.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
One will be plenty. Two can should be more then enough. Fuel can last a long time but depends on your elevation. Higher you are the more fuel it will take.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
How much will you be separated? And will you be eating mountain house when separated?

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
I'd think that the positives from a safety/survival standpoint out weigh the negatives of carrying the extra weight. What if one get's separated or stranded somewhere? You bet your bottom dollar you don't want to be that guy with no way to boil water for food and hydration.

Last edited:

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Thanks guys. Yea not too worried about separation. Plenty of water where we will be and we plan on using iodine to treat that. Also we will have other snacks with us so shouldn't starve to death before we could get out. So 3 small cans is plenty for two people and 8 days? Hate to go with only 2. Actually would be nice to only be back there for half that time if we could get lucky quick and early.