Jerky!

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Ok-maybe that got everyone's attention? [emoji28]

Hunting seasons are in full swing and from all the pictures on the forum, tags are getting filled. [emoji123]

I got 8# of trim off my antelope that's slated for jerky, I bet I'm not alone.

Let's hear about everyone's favorite jerky recipes, mixes, smokers, prep methods, seasonings/fixins and so on!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Spicy Cuban Rub worked out well for me on the smoker.Also tried Terryiaki(not so good)Used beef bottom round....2yrs ago was Javelina,Good Stuff!:cool:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'll grind all the meat that I intend to make jerky with, then I pick up seasoning packets from PS Seasonings for the flavor and cure. I tried a few others but it always seamed like I needed to double the amount of flavor to get it to taste good. With the packets from PS the flavor is right there. I usually use mesquite but last summer I made up some pepper and it was great. To round out the jerky making I have a dehydrator and a jerky shooter from Cabela's.

https://www.psseasoning.com/collections/jerky-making-kits

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Garlic salt and lots of it. It goes so fast around here I don’t bother with the preservative pink salt. Turns out awesome!

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I've done the pink salt way and dehydrated it a few times, and just don't care for the commercial taste that comes from it.
I pretty much only smoke mine now.

slice the meat into strips, roughly 1/4 inch thick. marinade over night in 12oz red wine, 8oz hot sauce, 4oz soy sauce, 1/2 jar jalapeno peppers, 2 tbsp garlic powder, 4 tbsp cayenne pepper.

smoke for roughly 2 hours (eat about half if it now, its delish!!!). Finish in the oven at the lowest setting, with the door cracked, just to dry it up. You can skip the oven, but the jerky wont last quite as long.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
As if I needed a new toy, I used a gift card to finance a new Little Chief electric smoker. I've been wanting one for a long time mostly just to make jerky and smoked fish.

Its supposed to be arriving at the house before the end of the day! [emoji6]

I splurged and got the jerky screens along with an assortment kit of my favorite Hi Mtn jerky seasonings.

[emoji91]

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
As if I needed a new toy, I used a gift card to finance a new Little Chief electric smoker. I've been wanting one for a long time mostly just to make jerky and smoked fish.

Its supposed to be arriving at the house before the end of the day! [emoji6]

I splurged and got the jerky screens along with an assortment kit of my favorite Hi Mtn jerky seasonings.

[emoji91]

I use an electric smoker for my jerky, it does a nice job of controlling heat. Make sure you rotate everything around fairly often, mine burns hot in the back corner, by the vent.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Have one on my Christmas list,what size is it?Right now I have an old Brinkman Wood burner model,I use mesquite lump charcoal.:cool:

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Have one on my Christmas list,what size is it?Right now I have an old Brinkman Wood burner model,I use mesquite lump charcoal.:cool:
My Brinkmann literally disintegrated; and I got it as a hand me down from a buddy! lol [emoji23]

I got the Little Chief top load since I'd like to try smoking cheese. I think they say it can handle 25# of meat. As you may know, its old school and meant for smoking-not smoke/cooking large hunks of meat.

The kids put the boxes in the garage-Xmas in Oct for me! [emoji318]

I'll post my jerky makin'...

Keep the good info going on this topic.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
So, this is the tedious part for me. Taking all the trim and salvaging nice jerky strip pieces from it. I know there's gadgets to make cutting the whole muscle easier into uniform strips; but I started with odd trim pieces and I make jerky infrequently, but maybe that will change? lol

I cured and seasoned 1/2 with Hi Mtn Mandarin Teriyaki and the other 1/2 with their Sweet and Spicy. After it was all said and done, I ended up with 7#. The meat will cure now in the fridge for a day or so before I smoke it.

Looks like Sunday will be day I fire up the Little Chief. [emoji111]

Last edited:

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Main engine ignition! [emoji573]

Its sitting on a slab of granite. 50s outside today - and windy - but its on a porch that's well out of the wind.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
LooksGood Prerylon.I freeze my meat just enough to make it easier to process. Made perfect slices from beef roast.How much approx.?
$200 +..-?:cool:

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Main engine ignition! [emoji573]

Its sitting on a slab of granite. 50s outside today - and windy - but its on a porch that's well out of the wind.

'AZ,

Just the top load electric smoker was $118.17 on Amazon Prime w/free 2 day shipping. It came with a bag of alder chips, which I'm using for this 1st batch.

I splurged on a few extras. I got their jerky screens, which did make loading the racks easier. They were $18.66 for a set of 4. I also got a 4 flavor jerky seasoning kit w/enough spices and cure to do 20# of meats. Whole deal, with tax, set me back $165. I may get their insulation blanket, for cold weather use, unless I make my own. I seen several good DIY options for insulation covers I want to look into.

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
Looking good. I'm in the market for a smoker myself. Really wanting to make my own jerky and snack sticks. First I need the boy to put some meat on the ground. Hope tonight's the night

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Tried an odd idea one time for a jerkey seasoning. Used a dry seasoning packet of spicy bloody mary mix. Turned out really good. To hot for my kids, so I don't make it much, but boy it went great with a cold barely pop!

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Tried an odd idea one time for a jerkey seasoning. Used a dry seasoning packet of spicy bloody mary mix. Turned out really good. To hot for my kids, so I don't make it much, but boy it went great with a cold barely pop!
That's kind of interesting *gears turning* a lot of bloody Mary mixes have celery salt or celery extractives for flavor. Celery naturally has nitrates in it, which are used in most all jerky cure mixes. Flavoring of a spicy Bloody Mary mix would be good, either way.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Thanks for the info Prerylon!Already have racks and seasonings.Makes it easier to hint at X-mas gift when you know price and product lol!How about a part number.Oh H3LL I can look it up on Amazon.:cool:

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
'Az,

Np amigo[emoji266]

No joke, the antelope jerky I made this weekend with that little electric smoker was the best I ever made. Period. Everyone is raving about it and asking me to make more. I just put the last batch in.

All that being said, research the options of all the smokers out there to make sure you're getting what you really want & need.
As I shared earlier, I think I heard these Chief smokers have been around for like 50 yrs or so. That being said, they have their limitations. They are best suited for making smoked fish, jerky, smoked sausages/snack sticks. They don't put out enough heat to safely cook a thick piece of meat on their own. Guys will use them to smoke a chicken or duck, but finish it in the oven. They do get hot enough to pasturize jerky or salmon candy, for example. I was aware of this and really bought it just for making smoked fish and jerky, snack sausage products. I don?t know if I'd call it exactly a cold smoker, but its more at that end of the smoker spectrum than say a Brinkmann, Traeger, or Bradley.

Also, the wind takes the heat right out them. With temps in the mid 50s this weekend, and really strong winds yesterday, the smoker even in a sheltered spot took 11.5 hours to make a full load of jerky. Last night, with calm winds and temps in the mid 30s, with some makeshift improvised insulation, the same load took 9.5 hours. I already know I will need to either buy their insulation blanket or make something slick DIY. Lots more info online. Great little smokers, popular, esp in Pacific NW and Great Lakes areas, but they are what they are, and not what they aren't. How's that for a write-up? [emoji38]

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Gonna bump this back up...

Anyone have a preference over wet brining their jerky vs a dry seasoning/cure before smoking or dehydrating? [emoji91]

Despite my usual culinary talent and willingness to experiment, I'll come clean and say all I've ever done to make my jerky is use a store-bought mix! [emoji44]

I'm tempted to try a wet brine recipe/technique if someone has one to share that they like...