Investments - what has served you well?

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
Furthermore, at a minimum no kid should be able to graduate high school until they have a full understanding of the IRA accounts, the stock market, compounding interest and investments.

I remember when a Social Studies/Economics Teacher saw my interest in this kind of thing and we sat down after class and went over a bunch of ideas and he told me that he bought Boeing aircraft stock for $1.50/share. I said how many shares did you buy? He said, "Enough that I probably shouldn't be sitting here talking to you right now..." lol
Amen to educating youngsters. I have never forgotten the day that my high school math teacher asked the question "If you had $10,000 dollars right now, what would you do with it?" Someone said they would buy a truck, and he proceeded to teach us about compound interest, contrasting the ever increasing value of a compounded investment with the depreciation to zero of the truck. The lesson made a profound impact on me. I knew that my math teacher was a very wealthy man who owned many rental properties (my family once lived in one of his trailer parks), and he knew what he was talking about.

I have never been able to bring myself to take a loan for a vehicle, I hate the idea of being on the wrong side of compounding for a discretionary purchase (had to do it for a house though).

Reactions: mallardsx2

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I agree 100% every loan I took out in my life so far I paid off early.

The house I am currently building will be another tale to tell though. lol

Reactions: El Serio

Rohitstad

Jun 20, 2022
I’ve been there, too and back then, I decided to get a loan, buy some real estate, and rent it out. This plan worked out because now I have paid off my debt, and I still rent the two houses I bought. Real estate investments are one of the most stable ones, and I have never regretted doing so. I will always be thankful to Mortgage Advisor Sunderland for the good advice they gave me back then. Hiring them was the best decision. Now I own those two rentals and have a stable passive (almost) income every month. Keeping those houses clean and well-supplied does not take me a lot of time and effort.

Last edited:

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Property and rentals… Air b&b or long term nice to be in dc for the week and see rentals booking. Restaurant in the right area. Say what you want but bitcoin has worked out very well over the past decade..

Depending on where you are nothing beats real estate.

Reactions: ScottR