If I was that elk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
They could make a full length feature film of the stupid things that the tourist do in Rocky Mountain Park or Estes Park just to get the attention of some elk. They could then make one of the idiots up in Yellowstone.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
just to play devils advocate here . we put on camo and go out to the woods and do pretty much the same thing but slap each other on the back when we do it. :ROFLMAO: least he is close to others who might help him to seek medical attention. most of us aren't when we do it.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
On the dumb things that us hunters do or how close we get to animals here is a picture of a bison in Utah on the Henry Mountains. We spotted him from about a mile away so I grabbed my camera and started down to him. I have a slew of pictures that I took as I worked my way down to him keeping to a draw and piles of brush and trees between us. Once I got within 100' I worked my way over towards a large tree that had some low branches that I could quickly get up on if necessary.

This picture was taken at less than 10 yards. Was it dumb? Perhaps, but I knew what I was dealing with along with a escape plan. The tree was just a couple of feet away to my right and that was as close as I planned on getting to this gentleman.

I think that the thing is that us as hunters usually know what we are dealing with when it comes to getting close to a wild animal. I didn't have a handful of grass in my hand trying to feed this guy and I knew better than to try to get close enough to scratch his nose. I did have a time when I reached out and touched a cow elk as she passed by me while I was sitting next to a stump but that is a different story.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
The city folks were all just hanging around and looking. Mean old aggressive elk trying to shut him up...