I-70 Detour Pictures

JimP

Veteran member
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Instead of muddling up the Colorado monsoons thread with some stupid pictures here are a couple of vehicles that tried to take a detour with no idea of where they were going. I don't think that any GPS or mapping software would of sent the drivers to these places.

This first one is of a truck that headed up a mine road and then past the mine turn off. He hit some very sharp switchbacks and then decided to try and back down. His backing skill is about as good as his map reading skills are.

This one is a Grayhound bus that the driver decided to make a road off of the Flat Tops Wilderness ares to Glenwood Springs. I guess he figured that he could go down Coffee Pot road and get a cup of coffee before he went on his jolly way. He did manage to tear out the oil pan in the bus and was left stranded. He was just lucky that there was cel phone coverage where he ended up at.

A rescue truck full of passengers luggage

I'm sure that before we are done with the closure we will add to these pictures. One road that people can get through has had county employees standing by to stop the idiots that are driving vehicles that are over 35 feet in length. In closures before this one semis have tried to navigate it and end up stuck or rolled over in a ditch when they try to turn around. I took this road the other day and was surprised at the size of box trucks that they were allowing to travel on it. I came close to having a head on with one of these box trucks on a blind corner when he decided to take it wide. It was a good thing that I know how to drive these type of roads and am usually ready for some idiot to come around the corner and taking it too wide.

JimP

Veteran member
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Anytime a stupid driver does something like this I will.

Colorado Department of Transportation is suppose to show Independence Pass as closed on their web site but it isn't , they just have a closed sign at the bottom of the hill outside of Aspen. But at that location they do have people stationed there to turn trucks and buses around. The ones on the Leadville side get into quite a few arguments with drivers who have no idea of what the road is like.

The funny thing is that we have those overhead signs telling drivers that the road is closed and what the detour is, I guess some just can't read, or read English.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
The guys on the Aspen side of Indy are doing a good Job amazing how many trucks they are turning around..

Last week before they were there 24/7 the pass was a mess cars were backed up almost into town. They also put in a stoplight at one of the one lane spots..

Wish folks would pull over when they have 20+ vehicles behind them - locals always seem to tourions not so much...

JimP

Veteran member
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Anyone know how long 70 will be under construction ?
The rest of our lives. It seams that every summer they tear up a section and rebuild it. Last year before the fire in the canyon they had the west bound section closed for most of the way through the canyon to rebuild something, perhaps they redid all the expansion joints. Since a lot of the west bound lanes are elevated it is just one long bridge.

However back to this closure, they are suppose to have a press conference today with the Governor in the canyon with when they plan to open a single west bound lane. They haven't said much about east bound.

JimP

Veteran member
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
They are now reporting that one lane both directions will be open sometime Saturday afternoon.

They have been lucky that there have been no substantial rains in the last week so that they didn't have to evacuate the canyon.

On the east bound section there is a piece of freeway that had a 150' chunk taken out of it that was 15' deep according to the reports.