Hydration Bladder Size

IL Hntr

Feb 26, 2011
Southern Illinois
I'm planning my first trip to Colorado for an OTC archery elk hunt. We plan to backpack in fairly deep and hunt for 7 days. I have a Badlands 4500 and have heard most guys saying not to use their hydration bladder in the lid of the pack.

So I'm looking at some other bladder options to put either inside the main pack or in the vertical pockets on the side of the pack. How many ounces of water do you think I need to pack most of the time? I will be packing a water filter and hope to have decent access to water but not sure yet.

Trying to understand if a 70 ounce bladder is enough water to carry most of the time or if I need a larger bladder. Thanks in advance for your help. I'm sure I will have other questions along the way, I'm consumed by it already and it is only May:D

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
I use a three liter camelback bladder. I have used other brands, and popped them, and some I didnt like the flavor the material gave the water after 24 hrs.
In hot weather, I can go through that 3 liter in half a day hiking, cooler weather, I can make it last all day or day and a half. If you dont drink enough, muscles will start to remind you of it fast enough.

My buddy I go with carries two of them, but then again he is literally built like an ox, so I dont think he pays attention to what it means to have extra weight.
Some guys like em lighter and know they will be near water. I like to be prepared. At least take it in heavy, if your near water, you can always refill it halfway at a time later and still have the extra capacity when needed.

mthuntress

Mar 2, 2011
Dillon,MT
I use the 3 liter camelbak insolated it work great.I go through about two of these a day when its hot and one when cold.Get the one that is insolated it helps keep water cooler longer when hot and when its cold it shouldn't freeze;mine has not froze yet and I've had in
-45 degrees with out the wind chill factor and it didn't freeze just drain the water out of the hose back into the main body so your hose does not get hard.

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
3L is usually fine for an all day bladder. With the 4500 I have found it more comfortable to strap a 2L inside the main compartment of the bag and then have a 1L bottle as back up. The 3L bladder just didn't fit as well in the space.
The bladder made for the top pouch is hard to control on side hills, when ducking under tree limbs and so on. The hose also runs a long way outside the bag and tends to snag up.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I carry a 2 liter Source bladder that came with my Eberlestock J34 pack and a empty 1 liter platypus. I fill the 2 liter up for the hike in and out. When i get to my basecamp i leave the source and fill up and carry the platypus. If it's really hot i will carry both while i hunt. It's nice to have a lot of water when you get a deer down. I use the extra water to wash my hands and knifes off after dressing out the deer if there is no water source around.

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
IL Hntr I ran a piece of webbing through the top edge of inside of the pack, into the foam that sits against your back. The bladder I have has a strap on the to to hang it up when you dry it so I just looped that through the webbing on the pack.

A friend of mine has the 4500 and he used a few pieces of webbing epoxied to the inside of the pack to make a little basket that holds his bladder in place.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
2L Camelback bladder in the verticle compartment, with a 1L Nalgen bottle. I use the bladder for water only, but the Nalgen gets the good stuff. 1 packet of Green Tea Mango, and 1 packet of Emergen-C. At the end of the day this stuff is like crack to a crack head. Dont put drink additives into the bladders, it will make them get mildew in the tubes.

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
I am looking at the Eberlestock halfrack bag to become a 2-4 day early season pack. I really like the way the hydration bladders go into it. It lets you hang 2 bladders down either side of the interior of the bag. Looks like a good set up for times when I want 4-6L of water and don't need to pack cold weather, bulky cloths. Anyone else used this bag to carry lots of water?

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
I use a 3L camelbak omega, best bladder I've found, and hang it vertically inside, alot of packs have a sleeve with a small strap to hang it from. putting in the lid makes the pack awkward and then the bladder doesn't feed right either, often getting air in the tube, i have a 2L for backup and always take a filter .

T43

I pack 2 of the Cabela's 3L open top bladders. I go through a lot of water when I hike so I always make sure I have enough. I have two Camelback bladders but I don't use them anymore as the Cabela's ones are easier to clean, fill, dry, add ice to and roll up into a nice little roll when empty. I used to carry both the camelback bladders then I got a Cabela's one to try, it is going on 4 years old and has never leaked so I picked up another one last year.

T43

I am looking at the Eberlestock halfrack bag to become a 2-4 day early season pack. I really like the way the hydration bladders go into it. It lets you hang 2 bladders down either side of the interior of the bag. Looks like a good set up for times when I want 4-6L of water and don't need to pack cold weather, bulky cloths. Anyone else used this bag to carry lots of water?
I use the 2 pockets on my X2 and carry the 2 bladders I talked about above. They take up a lot of room but for just an all day outing I can haul all the water I need and all of my gear. The halftrack is big enough you could probably make it work for a few days in good weather.