Hunting the Hoeback

wyohorn

Jul 9, 2011
Rock Springs, WY
Gonna be bow hunting elk this year up on the rim which is right by the hoeback river. Just curious if anyone has bowhunted this area for elk. Also are the grizzlys bad inthat area?

acn1

Aug 21, 2011
Wyoming
I have hunted down off the rim for the past several years. I have had alot of success hunting there even though the elk numbers werent so great last year but it was unseasonably warm. Lots of access for 4 wheelers which can get to be frustrating. I have only run into two black bears in all the years hunting there and havent seen a griz track yet. Find an area with enough water the help get a good frost on things and that is where you will find the elk.

dcestnik

Aug 31, 2011
They caught one at Dutch Joe and a friend I graduated with shot one somewhere near Pinedale a couple years ago so their area is getting bigger. Check the g&f weekly bear report.

307Wapiti

Mar 11, 2011
Wyoming
I guarantee there are grizz in that area. Couldn't tell u the probability of running into one but I wouldn't be archery hunting up there without a heavy sidearm.

Hunted there several times when I was younger. Meanest country I've ever been in.