Howa M-1500

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
Does anybody own one? How do they compare to a tikka t3 or savage 111? Looking at 7mm rem, shooting 139gr gmx bullet. I like the easy rebarrel option of the savage since this is a hot load.

T43

I have one, it's a great gun, I have a savage, it's a great gun too. I don't have a tikka but I do have a Sako and you guessed it, it's a great gun. I think it's a very strong buyers market for guns right now. Unless you are looking at the ultra bargin stuff your probably not going to end up with anything that doesn't perform as well as another brand. Even some of the budget stuff shoots well just be ready for them to fall apart (yesterday I was brainstorming with a buddy what to do with his "bargain" Remington 7mm now that the bolt fell appart). That said I would find the best deal of the 3 listed and put any savings into a better scope.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Have a Howa in .223, very accurate handy rifle. Both my Tikkas are SS T3 lites and great guns. If you have a donor Rem 700, look at making it a Remage, as another option, savage barrel nut on a Rem action. Don't have any Savages. Like T43 said, lots of great choices today.

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
Remage? Interesting. Is it as easy as putting a savage barrel on a rem 700 action? I have a rem 700 xhr that don't shoot for nothing. That would be a great option for me. It is chambered in 270wm. Is the caliber change going to be an issue to a 7mm?

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
They are sold as a kit. Forget the makers, but a quick search will give you an idea. Makes it a savage barrel nut rifle.

Not sure about 270wsm to 7mm Rem Mag. Check action length, rim diameter and feed rail dimensions. You may need to stick to a wsm style case.

Just depends on your goal for the rifle, if general hunting with bullets up to 160 gr. or so, wsm case should do fine, if the 180... Bergers, may not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Then I think you will have an action issue to deal with for a 7mm mag, may not be worth it, unless you would consider a 280 or 280 Ackey. Better vet that with a gunny or someone more experienced than I am.

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
Tim, thanks again for turning me onto the remage idea. Drove to northkand shooters supply today and picked up a barrel. It looks great. Just have to wait untily headspace gauges show up to finish. I had no idea rebarreling could be so easy.

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
7mm REM mag. I would have liked a 26" barrel but he only had a 24" light varmint on hand. I am going to see how this one shoots and then probably order a couple more for my other rifles. Since I got the tools now;-)

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
I used a belted Magnum bolt from another rifle. I was told they are interchangeable as long as I set headspace. The actions are the same.

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
Criterion with light varmint contour. Shooting a 168gr berger vld at max listed charge with IMR 7828 SSC.