How far do you go to gain access?

meathunter

Jun 6, 2012
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Been getting to know a rancher that owns a lot of acreage near my hunting cabin. Trouble is he has the land that backs to BLM and Nat. Forest. When I ask permission, usually offer help to fix stuff on the ranch. He took me up on the offer and we fixed a 5' deep waterer. We went through his place and got a nice elk bull and cow the next morning. Now we put in 5' deep, 600' water line and conduit to supply water/power in a corral. We're getting a small amount of cash and a beef cow to split. Then he wants me to install concrete pads and heated waterers. Found out he's the manager of Manny Pacquiao, Pacman (the boxer) and is going to give me a couple of tickets to his next fight in Vegas. Been able to hunt in the mornings and work during midday. Friends/family have elk/deer tags, so it's seems to be worthwhile and making a friend in the meantime. It is a fantastic area to hunt without pressure and a lot of game.

Anyone else with similar experiences with working with private ranchers to gain access?