hit what i consider a monster

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
Its 5am here and i cant sleep. I arrowed the deer ive been hunting for the last week up high in the back and i have to leave tomorrow to go back home. I have about 5 jours to look for him tomorrow but i doubt i will find him. After i hit him he ran abput a half mile and stood on a ridge for 45 min and didnt take a single step but was licking his side a little. The arrow looks like it only went through meat and fat. Anyone ever find a deer they hit super high? I will post up some awesome video footage i have of this deer and two others that were with him that are also pretty nice when i get back home. Sry for the typos, im laying in my sleeping bag typing on my yphone trying to make time pass quicker.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
If it's hit in the backstrap area (like you're describing) he'll be chasing does in a few weeks with little no effect.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
I did that to a doe a few years back. High hit, clean pass through with only fat on the arrow. She sure wasnt very happy about the full body piercing, but she lived.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Had a buddy take walking shot and hit high and back a bit. We looked for the buck and found him 3 days later on his feet and chasing a doe. There is a pocket there you can fit an arrow thru that hits nothing vital.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
First nice buck I ever shot at I hit thru the backstrap. 6 days later, my stepmother shot him during the gun season while he was running does. Your buck will be fine.

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
I am bummed. I am back home, 7 hours away from where I hunt, and I still have my bow tag in my pocket. I found blood where he stood for 30-45 minutes after the poor shot. The spot of blood on the clay surface was only as big as the palm of my hand. I couldn't find any other blood, I suppose that is due to him licking his wound before he started walking off. This deer is nice for the area I hunt. At least I got him on the video camera a few days before I hit him. I really am kicking myself for messing this up, but it sure was a fun. I took my shoes off and walked for about 150 yards to the group of bucks, 5 in total and 3 that were LARGE. I shot with my 50 yard pin but he must have only been 40 or maybe even less. There was no chance to range him as the two smaller bucks had spotted me and it was a "now or never" shot. Simply put, the deer was 30-40 yards broadside looking at me and I screwed up. By the way, this was/is a DIY PL hunt. I'm not done with this deer yet! :)

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
Here he is. I took the video camera footage of him and put it on the tv, then took a pic of the tv with my phone. The buck on the left is the one I hit, the one on the right was nice too, and there was one other buck in that group that was almost as big as the one on the left.
IMG_20121014_210338.jpg

trkytrack2

Sep 13, 2011
Sterling, Colorado
Breath out count 1, breath in count 2, nothing you do in the bag will contribute more to you finding the buck than getting some sleep.

I gave up bowhunting because of someone else's lost animal.

Sticks are too much of a risk for me, when I want 100% dead right there hunting.

Enjoyed hunting with a stick, but saw quite a few good archers have a big one get away and said enough is enough.

Hope you find him in the morning.
You should give up rifle hunting too if you actually believe that foolish statement you made about wounding loss from archery. Check the facts!

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
Here is a couple better pics. It looks like a different deer, but its the same. This just goes to show you how different they look when you're looking down on them as opposed to looking up at them. Different angles sure can make a deer look big/small (you should have seen what he looked like running straight away.....wow). Its hard to see, but he has two small drop tines too.

IMG_20121015_112614.jpgIMG_20121015_112420.jpg

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
How do you know that?
I would assume he saw her later? Around archery opener, my friend's wife hit a doe just under the skin of the back. If the shot had been any higher, it would have been a gash. I saw the doe about a week later, and she was looking good. She wandered around my stand quite awhile, and the would was already sealing up.