Hello and Thank You

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
Hi All,

My name is Matt and I'm 34 years old and live near Green Bay, WI. I'm just getting started when it comes to hunting out west and wanted to start participating in the forums after having spent many hours searching and reading posts over the last few months, hence the 'Thank You' in the title of my post.

The 'NEWHunter' handle is in reference to North East Wisconsin, where I grew up and currently live. I have been hunting whitetails and grouse since state law has allowed - which at the time was 12 years old in Wisconsin. I picked up turkey hunting and bow hunting in high school and I am self taught in those areas as my family traditionally only rifle hunted for deer. I spent the first 15 years of my hunting career on County and National Forest lands in northern Wisconsin so I am no stranger to public land, lots of hunters, and little success. I started getting in to the points game here in Wisconsin when I was 14 years old. Here in Wisconsin where I hunt black bears it used to take about 10 years to draw a tag, it is now pushing 20 years in Zone B.

After my last black bear hunt in 2014 I decided I didn't want to wait close to 20 years for another chance to hunt big game other than whitetails. That's when I started subscribing to Eastman's and researching hunting out west. For now I'm buying Antelope, Deer, and Elk points in Wyoming. Wyoming seemed to be the best value in points, as I don't have the financial resources to be applying for multiple tags in multiple states in the West. I've got a few buddies that I have talked in to getting after DIY Antelope and Deer and we have bought a few points for each. We are waiting until we build 4 or 5 antelope points so we can go to one of Wyoming's better antelope units and potentially do a combo antelope and Mule Deer hunt. That said, we did not want to wait another two years to get out west so we will be trying to buy some leftover Wyoming antelope tags this fall, try our luck, and learn a few things for when we pull a solid Wyoming antelope tag in a few years. Hopefully, after a few antelope and deer hunts in Wyoming I'll be ready to hunt elk when I finally build enough points to draw a really good tag. My dream hunt is an elk hunt where I have a legitimate chance at a nice 6x6.

While I can't provide any valuable information about hunting out west at this time, if any members want some information about hunting and fishing in Wisconsin, I'd be happy to share what I know. I'm an experienced hunter in this area of the country, having taken two bears, several whitetails with gun and bow, and quite a few turkeys with both shotgun and bow - in addition to successfully guiding other hunters on some of their first hunts. I'm looking forward to sharing our experiences after we get back from our antelope hunt in mid-October and hopefully providing some useful information to forum members. Good luck to everybody this fall.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Welcome to the forum. We were all new to it at one point. This is a great place to learn. Glad your here.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Matt, great intro! Welcome to the forum! Like IKC said we were all new once! You're on the right track buying points in Wyoming.