Helicopter Elk hunt!

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I've looked into a drop. Just can't find the guys to go in with me...
Congrats Dan- always enjoy your hunt segments.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Not my cup of tea, helicopters make me sick! At one point (about 5 min into the video) you seemed discouraged. If you could have left the area would you have? I ask because there are many days like that for me hunting and more often than not I bail on a spot like that in search of something better. I have to think those were some long ass days, not much to do once the sun starts heating things up but wait for it to start going down.

radencica

Jan 8, 2019
I've looked into a drop. Just can't find the guys to go in with me...
Congrats Dan- always enjoy your hunt segments.
Dude, I?m all about Air-Assaulting in to an Elk AO... DM me if interested. I haven?t done it (going on first elk hunt this year), but have done it hunting other things in faraway places. Blend the two? Heck yeah, buddy. I just worry about flight cost. JP-8 ain?t cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
Yeah it was a little discouraging but a lot times elk hunting is like that. There were enough bulls around that I was seeing on private that I knew something would venture on to public for me to kill. So to answer your question, no I wouldn't have left if I could. I knew it's just a matter of time. Lots of napping and slow moving on warm days. Just got to keep yourself busy if you can and trust the process.

Not my cup of tea, helicopters make me sick! At one point (about 5 min into the video) you seemed discouraged. If you could have left the area would you have? I ask because there are many days like that for me hunting and more often than not I bail on a spot like that in search of something better. I have to think those were some long ass days, not much to do once the sun starts heating things up but wait for it to start going down.

xbeekeeper

Mar 1, 2018
WOW Did that in Nam in 1968 at least the VC had an AK47. Even if I could pay to kill ,
It's not me, maybe if I'm 90 or so. And they let me out of the home. Maybe I'm just getting too old. What ever trips your trigger.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
this has intriqued me, I have a hole in the wilderness, that would be fun to be dropped off at, but don't know if they could legally land and pick up. If you have ever used a plane to get in the backcountry, is this much different?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Wilderness is a different gig entirely, feds can?t even land in most places in those. This was a BLM Section in the center of a lot of private.

radencica

Jan 8, 2019
Wilderness is a different gig entirely, feds can?t even land in most places in those. This was a BLM Section in the center of a lot of private.
What do you mean feds can?t land there?

We?re talking about privately hired helos, aren?t we? And in any event, a good pilot can hover a foot or so off the ground; plenty to get out and get your gear :)

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
The hovering thing is what has me intriqued. Makes me wonder if that is what some heli ski companies do, or do they stay out of wilderness?

radencica

Jan 8, 2019
The hovering thing is what has me intriqued. Makes me wonder if that is what some heli ski companies do, or do they stay out of wilderness?
Why would they stay out? It?s public land

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Who would know?In/Out see ya',I can go anywhere with
no one knowing I've been there.Been doing i since I was in grade school.:cool:

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Because a pilot will lose their license taking someone into the wilderness because it is in fact illegal. If you look up regulations, they are supposed to fly "X" amount of feet above wilderness areas, and only allowed to land in the case of life flight type situations and they need to get permission even before take off. Designated wilderness areas have rules both on the ground and aerial that have to be followed. A difference would be in the case of somewhere like the Frank church wilderness where there are legally allowed landing strips within its borders

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

radencica

Jan 8, 2019
Because a pilot will lose their license taking someone into the wilderness because it is in fact illegal. If you look up regulations, they are supposed to fly "X" amount of feet above wilderness areas, and only allowed to land in the case of life flight type situations and they need to get permission even before take off. Designated wilderness areas have rules both on the ground and aerial that have to be followed. A difference would be in the case of somewhere like the Frank church wilderness where there are legally allowed landing strips within its borders

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Great answer! Ok, so that?s for ?wilderness?, but what about non-wilderness public land? Just landlocked BHA land? I don?t expect you?d see other folks doing that on large-scale production shows if it were illegal, not to mention the OP.

I?ve actually been really curious about this, so would like to know the logistics, costs, companies (if any) that facilitate this type of thing.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I believe that that heli-ski outfits have special purpose licenses along with permits that allow them to go where they go.

For hunting you also need to figure in the 48 hours of no fly before hunting that a lot of states have in their regulations

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Great answer! Ok, so that?s for ?wilderness?, but what about non-wilderness public land? Just landlocked BHA land? I don?t expect you?d see other folks doing that on large-scale production shows if it were illegal, not to mention the OP.

I?ve actually been really curious about this, so would like to know the logistics, costs, companies (if any) that facilitate this type of thing.

Im sure Dan could be more precise with an answer considering he just did this on his hunt, but I would assume it would be fine in other public land areas that are not designated wilderness. Most helicopter companies are basically contractors and it would just take you hiring a helicopter for what you want to do. I spent a year hanging off helicopters working on powerlines, and I know it was far from cheap to have our bird in the air for any company that had us hired. Not sure if they would charge by the hour/trip/or per day rate, that would be determined by whatever company you found. Helicopters really like expensive fuel and use it quite quickly haha.