Heading In

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Heading up in the morning for 8 days. Can't wait. Drove in today and it was 38 degrees at 3:00 at 10,000 feet. After rain and clouds passed saw that the mountain above 11,500 got a dusting of snow. Really excited to get started. Hope we're lucky! This is the moment I've been waiting for. Will let ya know next Saturday when we come out if not before.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
Good luck bro. After that drive I hope you punch your tag. I am heading out tomorrow. With all of the moisture this year Colorado should be a great place to hunt. Good luck to all of you that are heading out with a bow this month.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Good luck bro. After that drive I hope you punch your tag. I am heading out tomorrow. With all of the moisture this year Colorado should be a great place to hunt. Good luck to all of you that are heading out with a bow this month.
The drive wasn't too bad. The drive home will be brutal. I agree, with all the moisture and cool weather I'm feeling good about opening day. Good luck to you and everyone else heading out.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I have a couple of days next week hopefully. Going to try and get my bull tag filled.

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

Saguache

Aug 28, 2014
Evergreen, CO
I am heading out at the end of the month to hopefully get into them when they are realy screaming. If anyone comes up with somethign early, let us know how the animals are all reacting to the weather.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I will hunt a couple days this next week but my long hunt is scheduled 41 days from now. Good luck to everyone- just don't shoot my bull:D! He is the one with really long tines and unbelievable mass...

canvsbk

Apr 8, 2012
Michigan
I will hunt a couple days this next week but my long hunt is scheduled 41 days from now. Good luck to everyone- just don't shoot my bull:D! He is the one with really long tines and unbelievable mass...
I leave in 10 days - will check on your bull for you :)

NebrCatMan

Feb 9, 2014
Western (the town) Nebraska
Hey... good luck to all but most of all hope everyone has safe travel and brings back tons of good memories. A buddy and myself are headed to Colo. the 3rd... after work. Be there early the 4th after some shut eye somewhere along the way. Hope to set up camp mid-day and after seeing how much the thin air affects us ( really hasn't in the past) we start our hunt. I'm pumped!!! Fall is here and I made it through another off season!!!

swmoelk

Apr 8, 2014
Heading to CO in 33 hours. Will camp for a night at the truck to acclimate to the altitude slots then pack in the wilderness Saturday afternoon to our first spike camp. Can't wait 1st elk trip or any out of state trip!!!!

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
good luck swmoelk! I will be headed to nm in about 40 days and it seems like an eternity.
Heading to CO in 33 hours. Will camp for a night at the truck to acclimate to the altitude slots then pack in the wilderness Saturday afternoon to our first spike camp. Can't wait 1st elk trip or any out of state trip!!!!

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Wel after 6 days in the backcountry we failed to close the deal. It was a difficult 6 days. Opening morning we had two bulls coming in only to get spooked by other hunters. After that we had a hard time finding the elk. Come to find out they were all herded up together in one canyon. There were 50 elk, bulls and cows herded up together. Really didn't expect to find them all together like that?? Never had any close calls till the last day when we literally ran into the herd at 12,109 feet headed back down the mountain. This was a surprise to all of us. They spooked a little but didn't blow out right away. Allowed me time to knock an arrow and raise up. When I rose up there was at least 15 cows staring at me head on...and then there he was...standing about 60 yards away. It was a nice 6x6. When I rose back up my intentions were to shoot a cow but when I saw him my intentions changed. I swung my bow towards him and put my 50 yd pin above his back. Evidently too far above because I shot over the top of him. Once we blew this opportunity we knew it was over. Just wasn't enough opportunities with the herd being together and so large. Either way we had an exciting trip to say the least. I have more details but I'm rambling on so I will just cut it short. Either way 6 years and no elk once again. This is getting frustrating!!!