GMU 42 Colorado

jwmerrill27

Sep 6, 2017
Looking to go on a rifle hunt next year in unit 421. Just wondering if anyone has any general information on the unit or has hunted it recently. I'm going with my cousins husband who guided in the unit 15+ years ago, he's hoping he can reconnect with his old stomping grounds after all these years.

Just getting started researching the unit, but hopefully can make a mulie/elk combo hunt happen next year...if it's even possible drawing a mulie tag at the same time as elk.

Thanks for any info!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jwmerrill27

Sep 6, 2017
I'm thinking I was a little too vague in my first post and hopefully will get some more answers if I am a little more specific.

Here's a few questions I have on the unit:

1. Is there a major difference in hunting pressure during the various rifle seasons?

2. As far as camping goes, I was debating bringing my ice house/camper but have no idea what the road access is like. Maybe we could camp further out and drive closer to where we hunt in the morning...or maybe that's not a good way to hunt. Thoughts?

3. Looking online it appears that the season's for deer and elk line up where I could do a combo hunt. Is this something anybody else does or is it taking away from one hunt or the other? I just enjoy hunting in general and would like to be able to go after a muley if I see one while I'm out there.

Hopefully this makes it easier to respond.

Thanks guys.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
JWM,

I spend all 4th season hunting and July scouting in 42/421 so I can provide some vague insight and comments. Feel free to PM me. Where are you coming from ? Ever been to CO hunting? How many deer points do you have ?

1) yes and it depends
2) gotta figure where you are gonna hunt at first as the area has varying different levels of access and methods/styles used to hunt
3) I'll be the first to recommend not trying to hunt deer and elk at the same time (now that being said, if you can afford it then get the tag that way you have it in your pocket)

jwmerrill27

Sep 6, 2017
JWM,

I spend all 4th season hunting and July scouting in 42/421 so I can provide some vague insight and comments. Feel free to PM me. Where are you coming from ? Ever been to CO hunting? How many deer points do you have ?

1) yes and it depends
2) gotta figure where you are gonna hunt at first as the area has varying different levels of access and methods/styles used to hunt
3) I'll be the first to recommend not trying to hunt deer and elk at the same time (now that being said, if you can afford it then get the tag that way you have it in your pocket)
Slugz,

I'm coming from Minnesota and this will be my first hunt in Colorado. However as I mentioned before my cousins husband who I plan on going with has been there before.

The area he mentioned was bald mountain...not sure if you know the area.

I don't have any points for deer so maybe that's not even an option.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Yeah up in the NE section.....checkerboard up there of NF to the south...Garfield SWA......and BLM.......big chunk of private also.
I'm on the Grand Mesa the bulk of my time.

That area you speak about is a summer concentration area so probably good. Too much private for me for them to run on so I dont spend anytime up there.....however if your relative is an ex guide then I'm sure he can solicit info from his local friends.

jwmerrill27

Sep 6, 2017
Any idea how many points it takes to draw a deer tag? Looking a little online I found some info that said 63% success in the draw with 0 points but I'm not sure how accurate that was.