Gloves - 2019 State of the Union

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Gonna a start a thread on gloves, why?; because its getting cold out and I need a new pair. I'd bet a few of you may also be in the same boat. Did read the July 2018 thread, it has some good ideas.

Actually, I hate gloves. But, I hate torn up hands and cold hands even more. 😆 My issue with gloves is that they seem to never fit me right-either too big or small. Most of the time I just use clunky ragg wool gloves from the farm/ranch store, or if its really cold, east German army surplus mittens. Neither are great for shooting. For a few years, I used some heavier duty thin neoprene gloves for rifle hunting in cold weather, with the mittens in the daypack for when I stopped to glass. Unf, the thin neoprene tears up fast; but they're cheap.

What's everyone like in warm gloves that allow great freedom of movement for shooting, mending fences, or working outside on machinery?

Last edited:

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I haven’t found a pair of gloves that really keep my fingers warm. I have many pairs by high end brands and cheap brands but my finger tips are always cold.

I’m thinking of getting a gloves that’s alittle big and wear a second inside so doubling them up.

I’ll follow this thread.

Reactions: Prerylyon

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
I saw this advertisement on IG and it sounded interesting. Haven't bought them though.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I bought a pair of neoprene gloves, called "polor paws" several years ago at a snowmobile shop. have used them snowmobiling and hunting for near on twenty years now. they will not keep your hands dry , in extreme wet conditions but they will keep them warm and they are easy to shoot with.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I have a pair of mittens that has a thin glove inside and I can fold the finger portion of the mitt back to expose the fingers. The fold back portion has magnets that keep the finger portion of the mitt open. It also has a zipper pocket on top that allows for a hot hand pack to be placed in it. I normally wear these when stand hunting. Usually if I'm moving I just wear cheap jersey gloves and pull off the glove on my trigger hand when I have to shoot. I have worn the mitts while elk hunting but they are not that good if you have to take a quick shot but that tradeoff is worth it to me.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Just to follow up, mittens are multiple times better at keeping your hands warm compared to gloves.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I haven’t found a pair of gloves that really keep my fingers warm. I have many pairs by high end brands and cheap brands but my finger tips are always cold.

I’m thinking of getting a gloves that’s alittle big and wear a second inside so doubling them up.

I’ll follow this thread.
That's exactly what I do, it helps a lot but my fingers still get cold.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I spend a lot of time in the winter backcountry skiing from a snow machine. Kilm gloves are real good. Burton gloves are as well. Just the top end ones as the cheap ones are crap. For when it gets real cold -10 to -40 I use Burton mittens with wool glove liners and the disposable hand warmers.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I have the opposite problem most folks do: I run kind of hot and get sweaty in most gloves unless it's SUPER cold. (Maybe it's because I tend to be hiking, not blind- or stand-hunting?) I normally wear a pair of Primos "stretch fit" gloves, which is a really thin, liner-weight style glove. These are good for me down to about 25F most days.

These are not waterproof, so for colder or wetter days I top them with a pair of Huntworth Midweight waterproof. I've never needed anything more than the pair of these together. On the most extreme days I just chuck a pair of hand-warmers in my pockets and make sure each hand gets a break in turn while I'm out. Both of these gloves have pads on the index/thumb for interacting with GPS and so on.

What I like about this setup is the liner-weight gloves have almost full tactile feel/control. I can shoot, tie knots, or do generally anything else without taking them off. And if I get too hot or need that tactile feel while wearing the heavier weight gloves, when I take them off I still have the liners on. It's really nice not having to expose bare skin just to tie a shoelace.

I keep the liner-weights on even while field-dressing. It makes gloving-up or changing gloves really easy because the nitriles slip on and off much more easily over liners than over bare skin.

For field dressing I've been using cheap-o Harbor Freight nitrile gloves for a long time, but this year I'm trying out a "venom steel" nitrile glove I found on sale for $7/50pk so I bought on a whim. They're much thicker than the 5mil gloves I usually wear (and tear). The box doesn't actually say the exact thickness, but it feels around 7mil. One thought before you rush out and do the same, they're black rather than the standard blue, which sounds cool but is actually a bad thing because it's harder to see at night...

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
This will always be my reply until I find something better. I have not found better for many years.

The mittens are pretty badass as well..

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Just like buying boots, fit is king. I only buy gloves after making sure that they fit. Sometimes L,XL or even XXL. I have meaty palms, moderately short fingers, and a real short thumb. I need to restock since I lost a glove on my last hunt. The best work glove for me are goatskin leather as they are tough and supple, even after being wet. For hunting, I bring light and medium weight gloves from the box store where I can try everything on. For deer stand in Minnesota, the glove/mitt combo is the choice.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I had a pair of those. They mitton part that goes over your fingers fell off of both of them after one season.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I like the Kuiu gloves best of what I've tried. The old Peloton 200 is my favorite glove. It's more wind resistant than the thinner Sitka gloves I've tried. I use them for a lot of hunting including upland birds and I shoot trap in them when it's cold. Extreme cold I wear them inside my Kuiu Superdown mittens until I need more dexterity. They aren't super tough but have been fine.

This year I got a pair of the Kuiu Axis gloves too. They are warmer than the Peloton's with slightly longer fingers and somewhat less dexterity. I can still shoot my rifles with 2lb triggers in them, so it's not to bad. I haven't used them enough to have much more of a review on them yet.

The Superdown mittens mentioned earlier are not at all tough, but they are light and sure are warm. I like them for sitting on a glassing spot in the cold.

On the ranch for real cold it's the Aleyeskan rag wool gloves with the old Sitka gloves the Kuiu Peloton's replaced on under them. Warmer working it's either leather gloves or the Sitka's if I need more dexterity. I bought a bunch of those Sitka gloves, I think the Traverse model, on Camofire years ago and have been surprised with how long they have lasted. They just don't stop wind like the Kuiu, especially when wet.

GregK41

Oct 17, 2019
USA
I used to wear SITKA gloves made with no-slip leather. The gloves are waterproof and windproof but they're quite breatheable. And they can be be 'transformed' into mittens.

About Eastmans'

• Eastmans’ is a three generation media based hunting company whose goal is to promote the pursuit of elk hunting, deer hunting and all western big game. Our mission is to educate and entertain along the lines of bowhunting and rifle hunting to provide sportsmen with the most up-to-date tactics, hunting gear and hunting area research for both archery hunting and rifle hunting in the West.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Follow us on Facebook