Fog proof

shed

Mar 10, 2011
I fell for it again. I was looking in Cabelas catolog and found "Parkers" spray for fogging binos. The label says it is my solution to my fog problems. Wow, I fell for it again and bought it. Guess what. It did not work. I left my swaros at home and took my zeiss. All fogged up. Tried it several times, still foggy. Anyone have something thay actually works?

IdahoPredator

Apr 2, 2011
Eastern Idaho
Wow. You have Swarovski and Zeiss? -I'm jealous. I would love to have one pair but haven't been able to pull the trigger on spending the dough.
As far as the fogging problem, I have no idea but would love to know if there is a trick to it.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
There are two methods I have used and both work well.
One is another product, called CatCrap. Its a real product, and can be found at REI. Small little dish of lens conditioner. It takes a bit of work to use it, rubbing it on, letting it dry, then buffing it off. Works best if applied twice.

A cheaper method that works wonders and needs be reapplied after getting them wet, IE rain, is Dawn Dish soap. Applies the same as above, however if you use a hair dryer to dry it to a haze, it drys faster. Just a very thin film of it over the lens, then dry it, buff it well, then your good to go.
Keep in mind, this method although very successful will not work after being subjected to water as its water soluable soap. You will need to clean the lens areas and reapply if you dunk em, get in in the rain, or just wash them if your so inclined to do that once in a while.

To test this new concept to you, try it out on your bathroom mirror in a spot, then apply hot steam against the mirror. You will see the area that was treated will not fog, or will not fog nearly as quickly or to the same extent, based on the level of steam applied. For this test a pot of boiling water held up near the glass to steam it will work. Using a steam generator device such as a SHARK mop would not be well advised, due to the nature of how it works it would just clean off the mirror all together. LOL

Have fun, try it out.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Well you only put on a light film of it, dry it, and buff it off. There isnt any there to get on your eye. Well, let me put it differently, there SHOULDNT be any there to get in your eye! lol. However, I am sure there will be someone that tries it out and gobs it on there, and comes back crying. :p

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I think I would be worried about rubbing the coatings off of my lenses. I try not to touch my lenses unless I absolutely have to. The best way I have seen to keep fog off is don't breath on them.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
If you have quality glass, the coating is not going to wash off. Its chemically bonded to the glass. Waxes and mild non abrasive soaps are not going to hurt your coatings, unless your sporting a simmons. The only coatings the cheapies have on em is wax! LOL

shed

Mar 10, 2011
Guess I will go to the litter box and confiscate that turd. I will call rei and try it .i am looking for something I can use in the field a couple times aday or as needed. My glasses always get dirty so need a cleaner/defogger.