First western hunt 2019

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
Hello everyone me and my buddy are going to put are chips in for anelope this year . We have been doing a lot of research and could use a little insight and maybe a confidence boost. We have six points now and I'm assuming by entering the drawing it would be 7 after we apply and pay ? Not sure if that's correct?
Anyway we are looking hard at unit 66. I have read that there is a one shot event held there every year. Does everyone participating in that event have to enter in the drawing also. If so what's the big deal not wanting to hunt in that unit? What would you do if you had our points
I would really appreciate any help and advice you would be willing to share. As avid whitetail hunters I understand not wanting to give out to much , or hard to find spots. However I would be very grateful if anyone could point us in a good direction. Thanks

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
You?ll have 6 points for the draw and 7 after, if you don?t draw your first choice. If I had 6 points I would be looking at the areas around the center of the state. I don?t have my MRS book around right now, but I hunted 74 and had an excellent hunt. You can make it as easy or difficult as you want. I believe that unit took 6 points this past year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
The number of successful forum members; many who are DIY hunters, some traveling great distances to WY from their home states, should be a big confidence boost. [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I'm not sure where I got mixed up with the points but I'm glad I asked. Thanks for clarifying. I'll start to dig in to try and find another unit where I have a chance with 6 points. Does anyone think we should wait and accumulate more points or just go for it now. We will be applying for a regular draw .

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
As you close in on a unit based on the likely draw with 6 pts., get the Game unit (GMU) map and that will help you determine the access points, private land, etc. The unit that I hunt has most of its PL tied up in leases to a big outfitter.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
There are a gob of great areas you can draw with 6 points. Look at what areas took 5 last year and you will get a good idea of what you should be able to draw this year. Not all areas increase 1 point a year but some do. My favorite area to hunt took 5 points last year. You really can't go wrong in area selection when using that many points- those areas are in demand for a reason- they are a great antelope hunt.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
As you close in on a unit based on the likely draw with 6 pts., get the Game unit (GMU) map and that will help you determine the access points, private land, etc. The unit that I hunt has most of its PL tied up in leases to a big outfitter.
What kind of public land can an outfitter lease for hunting?

jtm307

Jan 12, 2016
Wyoming
6 points will put you into some great units. Beware of point creep. If I had 6 points, I'd apply for a unit that could have been drawn with 5 points in 2018, and only if the tag quota doesn't decrease in 2019.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
What kind of public land can an outfitter lease for hunting?
My PL abbreviation was to indicate "private land." The unit I hunt is about 50/50, but most of the private is along the river and roads. You can still walk in at certain spots, and there are some two tracks on BLM that access vast tracts of public. Just be sure you have the chip for your GPS, or you won't have a clue as to where the boundaries are.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Your going to have a awesome hunt in Wyoming anywhere you choose to go using your 6 points to its full potential. You can go with the special higher cost tag and get a great tag. There are goats everywhere!

Shooter

Feb 22, 2011
Washington
6pts gets you into a lot of units. One thing pts do for you when it comes to lopes in WY is the more pts a unit takes the more public land it usually has. This isn't always the case but it's a good way to think about most of the non "trophy units".

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
Thank you everyone we have narrowed it down some now. We also also have 6 points for deer which were planning on doing in a another year or two. We are going to go with an antelope unit that also is a decent mule deer area. I have read about guys getting over the counter
Doe tags for mule deer if possible ? If not it will still be nice just to see them and start to learn their behavior and tendencies if possible. However are main focus it to each get a decent to good antelope buck . Thanks again

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Thank you everyone we have narrowed it down some now. We also also have 6 points for deer which were planning on doing in a another year or two. We are going to go with an antelope unit that also is a decent mule deer area. I have read about guys getting over the counter
Doe tags for mule deer if possible ? If not it will still be nice just to see them and start to learn their behavior and tendencies if possible. However are main focus it to each get a decent to good antelope buck . Thanks again
There's unlimited whitetail doe tags in some areas, but not mule deer. There are mule deer doe tag in some area you can apply for. WG&F site will answer your questions pretty quick if there some available in the draw for the area your interested in.

Last edited:

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
6 points will put you into some great units. Beware of point creep. If I had 6 points, I'd apply for a unit that could have been drawn with 5 points in 2018, and only if the tag quota doesn't decrease in 2019.
This is good advice. Nonresidents seem to get way too concerned on the importance of points and Eastman's blue chip units. You can find 15 & 16" antelope all over Wyoming. Good luck.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
This is good advice. Nonresidents seem to get way too concerned on the importance of points and Eastman's blue chip units. You can find 15 & 16" antelope all over Wyoming. Good luck.
Points are also important in drawing tags in areas with good access to public lands holding antelope. For example, area 73 took a nonres ~ 5pts to have good odds of drawing this yr in the preference pt draw for a type 1 tag. Just something to consider: the cost of accumulating points for drawing in hunt areas with lots of accessible public vs paying trespass fees to hunt other areas with similar trophy quality but less public land.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I really appreciate the advice from everyone. Thank you. My family and I pulled a camper through Wyoming this past summer on the way to Yellowstone and I know for a fact that I won't have cell phone service. So a GPS unit if first on my priority list to buy. I have been looking. Can anyone suggest a dependable somewhat simple unit . Don't mind sending a little bit but I don't want to drop 500 either.