first time to wyo. needing help

mbuh84087

Nov 23, 2011
thinking of putting in for unit #48 for antelope does anyone have the in and outs of this unit as in ease of access hunting opertunities and camping areas? any help will be appreciated.

Fish

Jul 8, 2011
WA State
I hunted area 46 which is across from 48. I camped near a park in the town of Medicine Bow. Lots of hunters camping there. There is a lake with a camping area in area 46. Its close to the hwy and on the blm map. I hunted this area 5 years ago and I've heard they had some winter kill, but there was lots of lopes when I hunted it. I'd talk to the local warden and biologist for the area before you apply.

crumy

Jun 19, 2011
Laramie, WY
I hunt in area 46 and have been in 48 a couple times. Both are pretty good. Public access can be a little hard but if you put your time in you will definitely get a shot at a decent goat. Last year was a little rough on the animals in southern wyoming but so far the winter has been mild. Hopefully that continues and they get grow a little. I don't know much about the camping since I live in Laramie I just drive in. good luck

dcannon

Feb 22, 2011
Pinedale, WY
I have hunted 48 in the past. If you take the BLM road west from Hwy 77, there is a campground on the edge of the Shirley Mountains right as you enter area 48. There is a substantial amount of public land to hunt on from this location. A good BLM map will show all of the public land available in the area. The Shirley Mountains are all BLM, but I have never seen an antelope on them.