first post in thread

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
This is probley a forum first some one other then MM or keepitcold doesn't get the first post.

To stay in the correct catagory

Who else does most of the cooking at home and vac pacs then freezes it to reheat in camp? My fav is spaghetti.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
I make most of my snacks like trail mix before hand and vaccum seal. We do up taco meat, sloppy joe and some other stuff like that for dinners back at camp before hand so we can spend less time cooking when we get back to camp

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
We don't vac seal as we aren't keeping these items a long time- We freeze gallon zip lock bags full of chili/pheasant and noodles/ goulash or whatever else we can think of. Frozen in a gallon block they keep a long time in the cooler. When we want to cook them we thaw the outside edge and cut the bag off. The frozen chunk heats fairly quickly in a pan on the fire. We also do scrambled eggs with antelope breakfast sausage precooked and frozen....heat and put in tortillas for fast breakfast burritos. A lot easier to deal with than raw eggs that break in coolers as they are handled.

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
I've frozen and vac sealed meals before. I just throw the whole thing in a pot of boiling water to heat up and then clean up is easy. I also pre-cook scrambled eggs then throw whatever you want with it in the skillet (summer sausage, breakfast sausage, bacon, steak, brains, you name it!) eggs go in last to soak stuff up while heating up.

I also pre-make what we call Hobo Pockets. Brown some burger or sausage, drain and add whatever vegetables you desire. Wrap portions in tinfoil and freeze. At camp, just throw on a coal bed in the fire pit for a while and enjoy!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I've frozen and vac sealed meals before. I just throw the whole thing in a pot of boiling water to heat up and then clean up is easy. I also pre-cook scrambled eggs then throw whatever you want with it in the skillet (summer sausage, breakfast sausage, bacon, steak, brains, you name it!) eggs go in last to soak stuff up while heating up.

I also pre-make what we call Hobo Pockets. Brown some burger or sausage, drain and add whatever vegetables you desire. Wrap portions in tinfoil and freeze. At camp, just throw on a coal bed in the fire pit for a while and enjoy!
Hobo pockets.... redneck snacks. I like it.

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
Frozen- white chili in a ziplock bag. Pull it out of bag and put it in a pot and rewarm.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I do red chili, green chili, Jambalaya and chicken soup. Freeze in the aforementioned gallon zip-locks. They keep fine in the cooler, who feels like cooking after hunting hard all day?? Been doing this for almost 30 years. We do however, grill elk tenderloins when we get enough to feed everyone in camp.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
My mom will make meals before a hunt and then all we have to do is heat it up at camp. Chicken (hot or cold) potatoes, meatloaf, spaghetti, burrito pie, tacos etc. She will usually cool it up a day before we leave and we have plenty of home cooked meals that taste fabulous when you get back to camp.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
We are actually at Lake Powell right now….we brought vac packed bags of spaghetti sauce, sloppy joes, and sausage gravy. Catfish fry tonight though with fish we caught at Snake River/Brownlee Reservoir a few days ago.

Tomorrow…Stripers!

Last edited:

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014

here you go. Tell me how you like it. Goes great with Tostitos scoops. Also you can season it how ever you like. I load up my bowl up with jalapenos

2nasty4u

Mar 27, 2014
nd
My mom will make meals before a hunt and then all we have to do is heat it up at camp. Chicken (hot or cold) potatoes, meatloaf, spaghetti, burrito pie, tacos etc. She will usually cool it up a day before we leave and we have plenty of home cooked meals that taste fabulous when you get back to camp.
mom always does make it the best. my mom is pretty good for sending stuff along for hunts too

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
mom always does make it the best. my mom is pretty good for sending stuff along for hunts too
It's so convenient and it tastes ever better when you are 6 hours from home and just came off the mountain. If that was what I did every day food would taste better and I wouldn't be as picky haha